Failed to show RSWho

bcarbo

I started getting this error when opening RSLinx Classic v3.8.
"failed to show rswho there are some unknown reasons including out of memory or disc space"
I uninstalled RSLinx and reinstalled and then it said "can't access Harmony.rsc. I deleted Harmony .rsc from RSCommon and now I get the unknown reasons error again.

I helped someone over in a different forum with a similar issue, it was related to the latest Windows updates. Specifically:

KB4058702, KB4056892, KB4056890, KB4056891, KB4056895, KB4056896, KB4056898, or KB4054517

Rockwell has a KB article that documents some of the broken programs from these updates: KB:1071234

Last edited:
KB4056895 was the only update I had. I uninstalled it, rebooted and RSLinx works now.
Thanks alot

I have W7 Pro/64 and no issues so far. I'm bringing a backup to a job site next week, just in case. Have not tried to connect to anything recently since the updates and got a new one today.

I have W7 Pro/64 and no issues so far.

In looking at the Microsoft patch list for Windows 7/Server 2008 SP1, none of those KB updates identified as causing FactoryTalk problems are listed as applicable to Window 7. (However, I did not back-check each KB individually for the version it applies to.)

I proactively talked to the IT folks, these update listed only affect 8.1 or 10 and Server 2012. It's good to be behind sometime.

Conversation with Client IT manager today:

Me: "You should really turn off auto updates on this machine you manage. We can apply them manually each month while I'm on site. We were lucky this was a simple fix. "

IT guy: "IT department doesn't manage these they're not on the corporate WAN".

Me: "Oh great, what's the admin login so i can turn them off. If you're not managing them then surely I must be responsible for them?"

IT guy: "Oh, no you can't do that. We have to do updates!"

Me: o_O