Carry on bags or follow me

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

I have a bag that i carry my laptop, multimeter, clamps, screws, wire cutters, some set of relay contacts for testing, flash lights, all sorts of different programming cables for different manufacturers, switch(wireless) router to connect to devices on that support Ethernet IP, and at some cases may need to carry another laptop. I currently have a carry on bag and it looks like a big mess, where i can't even close the zippers all the way and i have a feeling this bag going to give out soon as the fasteners are slightly ripped. Not to mention the bag probably weights 50lbs, and after a long days of work to carry that is a killero_O. So please if anyone can recommend with a link, as to a single bag, that has worked for them, in keeping all your components organized let me know.

I've seen service techs with some very nice hard plastic follow me style compartmentalized cases. But I doubt they'd fit in an overhead compartment on a plane. Does it need to, or is it just something for a convenience?

it would be nice if it can fit in a planes compartment, but send me a link of what you are referring to my way

Oh boy! I can't imagine trying to get a carry-on bag filled with wires, cutters, meters, and black boxes through today's airport security! Just cuff me and lead me away quietly...

It might help if it had see-through plastic sides, to show that you are not trying to hide anything.

Last edited:
I've only seen them used, never looked them up before. But basically it was stuff like this:

http://www.alltimetools.com/p-208-c...case-tele-handle-and-bumpers-with-wheels.aspx

http://www.alltimetools.com/p-1660-ch-ellis-rolling-tool-case-and-computer-case.aspx

Now, I can't see that making it through security without being checked. All the service techs I've seen using them brought them when they drove, throwing them in their truck or car trunk.

Not to start a story telling tangent but... In 2007, I was flying, and carried my laptop case with me all the time, using it as a storage for my snacks and goodies as well. I was on the plane, opened up my case and was digging around for some pretzels or something. Pulled out a utility knife and realized I had placed a bunch of my tools inside my bag. They had made it through security and I was now on a plane with a couple knifes and flat blade screw drivers. I made sure to tuck them back deep inside my bag and try not to let anyone notice I had them for the duration of the trip.

@ Tharon talk about a close call, thanks for the links though, those look pretty organized, ill do some more digging

Pre-9/11, all that stuff wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Not so anymore. I would think you would definitely have to check that stuff. As everyone wants to avoid paying carryon charges and with smaller planes, there's no room to carry on stuff like this anyway. Or like in the commercials have it FedExed ahead.

Pulled out a utility knife and realized I had placed a bunch of my tools inside my bag. They had made it through security and I was now on a plane with a couple knifes and flat blade screw drivers.
You lucky dog. That brings back bad memories of a sorry plane experience. I was returning home, worn to a frazzle, exhausted, and with a bad left arm in a sling. I had strained it somehow on the job, and it was painful to move it much. Even the weight of the arm caused a throbbing pain in the shoulder. I managed to get a sling and was wearing that. I had been wedged into a cramped seat on two different flights for 5 or 6 hours, finally arriving at the Atlanta airport. Getting on the Delta plane for the final leg home, I was overjoyed to find that I had been assigned one of those exit-row seats with 4 or 5 extra inches of leg room. This couldn't be, no way would I be this lucky.

I wasn't going to budge out of the first seat I had all day where my knees did not rub against the seat backs. Then here comes this steward and says "Sir, you can't sit here with a broken arm". All my exhaustion and anger came bubbling up and I said "Why not? I have a ticket for this seat and I AM sitting here!" "But your arm is broken - you can't operate the door!" I shot back with "My arm is only sprained and I can operate any door on this plane. See here", and I pulled my arm out and waved it around. Then the guy's eyes bugged out and he took off to the front. Later I figured he thought I was a terrorist wearing a fake sling. A few minutes later a big security man came up and said "come with me". They kept me in a little room and searched me and asked questions just long enough for me to miss the flight. I knew that seat was too good to last, and I haven't flown on Delta since that day. When Delta went bankrupt, I thought I knew one or two reasons for that.

Last edited:
@ Lancie thanks for the heads up, ill be sure not to wave my arm if i have a sling on it lol

Tools and instruments go in the checked luggage. Who cares if you loose it. It is either your company or the insurance that has to pay for it if it gets lost. Dont get personally attached to the stuff. If I loose my clothes - great ! I get to buy all new clothes for free.

I carry only the really important stuff in a PC rucksack. Stuff that I cannot get onsite and that I critically need (that's essentially my laptop with all software pre-loaded), and stuff that I personally would hate to lose (keys, expensive sunglasses and like that).
Everything else goes in the checked luggage.

I absolutely hate when people lug at least a trolley and possibly 1 or 2 more bags onboard. Whats the reason ? What is it that is so important that you have to bring it with you in the cabin ?

Pelican

dbh6,

Check out
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510LOC

I have used this for traveling around. It works great. I'm not sure about the second laptop.

Also check out;

Cocoon CPG10BK GRID-IT Organizer, 12 x 8 Inch, Black

I use this organizer for some of my smaller cables and adapters.

Usually when I'm traveling on a plane I take my really long cables and stash them in my checked bag, to make room for a couple books or other stuff I might use on the plane. Once I get to my destination I use the pelican to go out to the job site and it works great. Looks professional to.