Shifting I/O Modules, Slots: RSLogix 500 Question

mbd0722

Shifting I/O Modules, Slots: RSLogix 500 Question

I am using RSLogix 500 and have an SCL 5/03 configuration 75% finished. I did not realize that I had additional inputs to configure.

The current I/O configuration is:
slots 1 to 4 = 1746-IA16 input modules
slots 5 to 7 = 1746-OAP12 output modules

The desired I/O configuration is:
slots 1 to 5 = 1746-IA16 input modules
slots 6 to 8 = 1746-OAP12 output modules

I would like to reconfigure the chassis and move the output modules to slots 6 to 8. Then I would like to add another input card so that the input slots will be slots 1 to 5. Is there a safe and easy method that this can be accomplished within RSLogix 500? Do I have to re-assign new addresses, descriptions, and symbols to each contact for the shifted output modules or can this be done automatically within RSLogix 500? Thank You

Yes it can be done automatically - and their software is EXCELLENT at this. Simply go to the I/O configuration. Click and drag the last output module down one slot then release. A handy window pops up to ask if you want to move all the references and documentation. Just say yes and stand back. Follow up with the other output modules one at a time. You'll have this entire move job done in a minute.

Probably the easiest way within RSLogix is to use the search and replace function. It has a box that you can check that will allow you to move the descriptors as well. Important, make sure that you work backwards with your search and replace. I.E. start by doing a search and replace on addresses at slot 7, moving them to slot 8, then move 6 to 7, etc.

Scratch that, I like Bernie's suggestion better. I didn't know you could do that. I continue to learn new stuff at this site. cool

Last edited:
Good info..I got a question and since I dont have a rack style SLC500 to test this on I will ask.

Since the output cards are the same (or for that matter with any output card) could you move the first one over to next empty slot instead of having to drag them individually? This is the kind of stuff that is really nice to know.

He could have, if he wanted to move the already assigned I/O in that manner. I just usually do this by shifting everything so that's what I talked about.

Wow!

I learn something everyday!

How about MicroLogix 1500? I have a 1769-SDN (devicenet scanner) located in slot 5 and discrete I/O in 1-4. I set this up about 1 1/2 years ago, with RSLogix500 V5.0. I now have V6.0 and the software will not let me download the program. It says the SDN is too far from the power supply. I can go online and monitor all day long, but I can't make any changes. I could always re-install V5, but I like this idea better.