Red Lion HMI FTP Issues

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

First time I have set up a Red Lion HMI to have a FTP Server. I set it up per the manual and I think I have it right but when I try and connect to the FTP server I get a error message.

So if you would take a look at the attached and let me know what I am doing wrong I would be very grateful.

Thanks!!

ftp Set Up Snip.PNG FTP Snip.JPG

Last edited:
Disable Windows Firewall right out of the gate. On Windows 7, I have been able to get away with creating a rule, on Windows 10, I gave up fiddling with the stupid extra layer of **** MacroShaft slapped on top of the important stuff and just left Windows Firewall completely disabled.

I was using the HMI for FTP sync, sort of the reverse of what you're doing but I still recommend disabling the firewall starting out to make sure Bill Gates and his ingeniou$ way of creating conflict isn't sending you after ghosts they created.

I have never used the HMI as a FTP server.

What are you trying to use to connect to the FTP server, it looks more like a web browser than an FTP client. Some web browsers will act as FTP clients and some are very bad at it.

Thanks Oki,
Tried the Firewall and had no luck with that. I am going to see if Red Lion Tech Support can shed some light on this.

Bryan,
It is a web browser that I am using. I am following the directions that are in the Red Lion Tutorial for use the FTP server. It says that once you have the FTP server set up and the security accounts all you have to do is type in ftp://HMI IP Address you will get to a log in screen. Type in your log in info and you can get to the SD card directory in the HMI. I know that I have good log in info because if I put in bad data it comes up asking for log in data again.

Thanks for the help. I will follow up if Tech Support gives me any other ideas.

Most FTP servers will require port 21 to be open in you firewall, even though you may have windows firewall disabled you will have to have the router set to forward port 21 to the hmi IP. (Now if this equipment is all on the LAN side you won't have any trouble).

But you may want to try this. If the IP of the HMI is 192.168.2.150 then add the port number so you are addressing 192.168.2.150:21

Now the port number usually can be adjusted in the HMI to your needs, but I am not a Red Lion user, I am speaking in general terms.

Filezilla is FREE and very easy to use.

Turns out that David & Bryan were right. Even though Red Lion's Tutorial shows using a web browser as a FTP Client it doesn't work according to Red Lion Support.

They recommended Filezilla also and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for you help.