Europe/IEC - Branch Circuits and Supplementary Protectors

keshik

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi. I have some circuit protection questions that hopefully some of our European friends can help me with. Note that the below is my understanding of things and may not actually be correct.

In the USA there is branch circuit protection (UL 489) and supplementary circuit protection (UL 1077). In Europe, there is IEC 60898-1 (not applicable for industrial) and IEC 60947-2. Do I need to worry about distinguishing between branch circuits and supplementary circuits when I am applying circuit breakers in Europe, or can I just use something that is IEC 60947-2 compliant in both places (where I would use a UL 489 or 1077 device)?

From http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/wp/1492-wp001_-en-p.pdf (I'm quoting because I'm far from an expert):

Branch Circuit The conductors and components following the last overcurrent protective device protecting a load.
Branch Circuit Protection Overcurrent protection with an ampere rating that is selected to protect the branch circuit. For a motor branch circuit, the overcurrent protection is required for overcurrents due to short circuits and faults to ground only.
Supplementary Protection A device, typically either a supplementary fuse, or a supplementary protector (see below), intended to provide additional protection subsequent to branch circuit protection. This device has not been evaluated for providing branch circuit protection. The purpose of supplementary protection is to provide additional protection for a given
piece of electrical equipment - it does not serve as branch circuit protection. Supplementary protection can be provided by fuse (rated as supplementary protection) or by a supplementary protector.
Supplementary Protector A manually resettable device that is designed to open the circuit automatically on a pre-determined value of time versus current or voltage, within an appliance or other electrical equipment. It can also be provided with manual means for opening or closing the circuit. The primary function of a supplementary protector is to protect equipment. Supplementary protectors can be applied at 100% of the rated current values, in contrast with branch circuit breaker which is applied at 80% of the rated current value, unless marked differently on the device.

So basically branch and supplementary protection are short-circuit and overload protection.
Well, in EU you also have to have both short-circuit and overload protection. It can be done with one integrated device (i.e. a motor protection MCCB) or separate devices (MCCB or fuse, and overload relay), so it is essentially the same as in the USA.