Ethernet Barcode Reader to SLC505

chriskei

I need to read a barcode label and then divert a box using a SLC505. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to read in the barcode message using an ethernet connection to the 505 processor?. Does this involve quite a bit of coding in the SLC processor to read the ethernet message form the barcode scanner and are there are any tech notes on how to do this?

RTFM

If your barcode reader manual doesn't say, I can't see how you can do it.

The barcode reads I've dealt with were all serial. When they puke out a string out their RS-232 port, the data would go into the SLC's Channel 0 buffer. The SLC could then read that buffer (ACB, ARD, ACL commands), parse the string (ASC, AEX) and do whatever is needed.

The ethernet port allows the SLC to read from other PLCs (MSG instruction). Unless the barcode reader has an internal memory structure that understands AB I/P protocols, and can return data if requested from "N7:0", or unless it has the ability to write to the SLC's data table, I don't see how you can get the two to talk.

I would say it depends on the bar code readers abilities. It may be best to look at the SLC 5/05 with Ethernet manual to determine if you can do what you want. >SLC 5/05 ETHERNET MANUAL<

In reply to your question:
Does this involve quite a bit of coding in the SLC processor to read the ethernet message form the barcode scanner and are there are any tech notes on how to do this?

Using ASCII, MSG or whatever if you send any information to a plc you will have to tell it what to do with that information. From what you have stated I "assume" you are working with or developing some sort of diverter system...ie it reads the labels..the info goes to plc...it determines where the box goes to from there. LANE1 LANE2 HOSPITAL LANE etc etc. If this is the case it can be involved.

It may be as simple as bad label divert box...good label pass thru. If this is the case you probably wont need more than an output from the reader to tell the plc that next box needs diverted. Still programming will be needed but it wouldnt be that hard.