PanelView Error 60

agarb

I have a PV1000 (2711-K10G3) in a 3 month old project that displays a seemingly random error 60. It can run for hours without problem before requiring power being cycled to clear the error. This error has been evident since the early days of the project. A very similar machine running nearly-identical hardware that was built 7 years ago runs fine. I've searched the knowledgebase & called A/B tech support numerous times. A/B even provided a warranty replacement that didn't solve the problem. The last email A/B sent me said, "we have seen a trend of error 60 messages in recent terminals." I was curious if anybody else has experienced this? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Aaron

I just talked to our local rep who says that A/B has acknowledged to him that new problem with some of the PanelViews. My rep first seen his first error 60 a couple days ago on a different customer's PanelView. Also a 1000 but with color/ethernet instead of grayscale/DH485. A/B claims to be investigating but doesn't yet know what the cause is. My rep seems to think something in the hardware changed and recommends that we install yet a 3rd PanelView in an attempt to fix it! Or he suggested we migrate to a PanelView+.

I guess there is no such thing as proven hardware. :(

Aaron

Funny... I have had the same problem and have not found any fix...

Model Number
2711-T10G20

I even found info on the wonderful Knowledge base on Rockwells site.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/041321D8D9161B7385256AFB00703335?OpenDocument

and

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/5641859E71DF92D485256D010052A63A?OpenDocument

(Notice the dates last updated)

I programmed and installed a unit some odd 4 years ago. Even as the programming is a bit archaic, I found it worked well. Not a single issue to be discussed with the programming.

So now I need to add another MMI and decided that we will just use the same thing over again. Added the few extra screens that consisted of basic buttons and functions tested the unit and had no problems.

Week or so later ERROR 60 (in several languages) No reason, no excuse nothing to explain it. When I called tech support I was told, that error does not exist in the firmware any longer. Hmmmm… Ok then what is it doing on my screen?

Long story short, I needed to update the firmware. I did and it made no difference. I was told it was the Bar graphs and that there is embedded text and it causes the error. This is after reading and several more calls to Tech Support.

So I followed the directions offered. I uploaded the latest version of the software, removed all bar graphs, re-designed them and recompiled project. Same thing, no different. I removed the bar graphs completely, no difference.

So I installed another MMI (same Model) with even newer firmware and there was no difference again. Failed just as intermittent as the other unit and at different times. Meanwhile, the original MMI bought years ago is still chugging away.

I have sent the project to tech support for review and still have not head a thing (1 week ago)

I really don’t thing that the error is a part of the project, settings or application. I think it is the firmware of the MMI and that running a particular object is making it flake out.

Jumping to Panel View Plus is an easy solution. GREAT then please give me the same unit as I have in the Panel View Plus Version. (for the same money) Also, please give me the software to program Panel View Plus. LOL….

Also see this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=23387

I have a BRAND NEW PanelView on my desk tied to a SLC 5/04 processor and chassis. My application DOES NOT contain any bargraphs, etc... Read my reply to see exactly what I have seen. No rhyme or reason for when it pops up.

I'm deathly afraid to release my PanelView to the panel shop for assembly and ultimate shipment to the end user until I see a suitable resolution to this Error 60 issue!

I also noticed those 2003 postings on the A-B knowlegebase. Those are useless to me today.

Come on, A-B!!!

I just got off the phone with Tech Support... Dan was his name...

There is a complete stoppage of production and shipment of all Panel view 1000's according to him.

He also said that all units before May of 2006 will not be a problem. The first one I bought was Jan or Feb I think. It fails just like the one just bought. He really did not know what to say about that. He also told me that I can be rest assured that Rockwell is loosing tons on money over this problem. They are working on it.

What about my problem? I am the customer... lol

Well anyhow... I hope it is solved soon... I think I am going to have a reset power button installed on the JB the MMI is installed in. Call it "AB fixitall"

(Maybe Microsoft engineers from the win 98 days work for Rockwell now?)

Scorpip said:
Funny... I have had the same problem and have not found any fix...

Model Number
2711-T10G20

I even found info on the wonderful Knowledge base on Rockwells site.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/041321D8D9161B7385256AFB00703335?OpenDocument

and

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/5641859E71DF92D485256D010052A63A?OpenDocument

(Notice the dates last updated)

Yeah, I saw those too, but we weren't using embedded variables, bargraphs, alarms, etc

A-B tech support did take a look at our PanelView file and couldn't find anything we were doing wrong.

Scorpip said:
Jumping to Panel View Plus is an easy solution. GREAT then please give me the same unit as I have in the Panel View Plus Version. (for the same money) Also, please give me the software to program Panel View Plus. LOL….

I'd recommend you stop wasting your time trying to fix an A-B problem. Start chewing on people's ears at the distributors and A-B. Ask for a old unit from the repair hub. They were able to give us a repaired unit from an old revision prior to the problematic ROHS change.

Aaron

edit -- Don't miss this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=23387

Last edited:
Scorpip said:
I just got off the phone with Tech Support... Dan was his name...

There is a complete stoppage of production and shipment of all Panel view 1000's according to him.

About time they admit it!

Scorpip said:
He also said that all units before May of 2006 will not be a problem. The first one I bought was Jan or Feb I think. It fails just like the one just bought. He really did not know what to say about that. He also told me that I can be rest assured that Rockwell is loosing tons on money over this problem. They are working on it.

He's wrong. Our defective unit was purchased in March.

Aaron

agarb said:
He's wrong. Our defective unit was purchased in March.

Aaron
Mine was purchased around the same time!

Thanks for all of your help. The PanelView on my desk that is to go towards a project is staying put until a resolution is achieved.

Otherwise, the end customer will not accept a device that he has to re-boot twice a day!

I talked to my local distributor... Fantastic AB distributor in Washington PA as well as Falston PA... The software product manager checked into some problems and found that Series D is the problem

I got a replacement unit, Same model number but series C instead of Series D.

I loaded it with the screen software and let it run for a few days. NO PROBLEMS NOTED!

I am releasing it to the plant to be installed and put into service. If anything else fails, I will post it. But from what I have seen, it looks like it will take care of the problem.

Scorpip said:
The software product manager checked into some problems and found that Series D is the problem

I got a replacement unit, Same model number but series C instead of Series D.
Mine is series "E". See my earlier posts about the same problem...So what you really mean is "series D or after"

I just checked - our defective unit was also series D.

No idea what series the replacement unit from the repair center was - so far I haven't heard anything from the customer about it. (crossing fingers)

Jimmy O sez:

(in another thread)

On a blue screen:

ERROR! FEHLER! ERREUR! ERRORE!

My PanelView particulars are:

Catalog # 2711K10C8
Series E
Revision B
FRN 4.46
The Blue screen of Death! Auggh!

I've got a similar unit, Date of Manuf (its the teeny weeny number in the bottom right corner of the equipment label, according to TechSup) of 0306, but mines only an FRN 4.41 Series E Rev A. I'm curious what yours is (D of M)?

I'm getting much the same silence from the integrator, though it looks like it's beyond his control.

Anyone else shaken anything out of the tree, yet? There's only so many used Series C units kicking around....

Last edited:
The date doesn't seem to matter....

Anything after series C appearently fails. So D and E are not going to work very well... It is not a Firmware issue, it is a hardware issue. Your programming will not make a differance.

The only one that I got to work and is in operation, as per my earlier thread is the series C. I tried, E and I tried D and had no luck.

Good Luck....

Oh... Don't shoot the integrator. He is being fed the same Bull Poop from Rockwell as the rest of us. If everything was easy and worked the first time, this board might not be here and anyone could do our jobs... =)

Have a great day!!

I just searched A/B's lack-of-knowledge base. I can't believe they still haven't posted anything!

dwilson: outside of searching for a rev. C unit all I can suggest is to keep complaining to your A/B rep. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, especially if you are an important customer. But as Scorpip says, do take it easy on the integrator - it isn't his fault.

You might ask for an upgrade to a PanelView+ 1000 - the software would need to be rewritten (and paid for) by somebody, but it will fit in the same size hole.

Aaron