You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old June 25th, 2020, 10:27 AM   #1
hamm3r1
United States

Connected components workbench

I know that CCW is not a widely used platform, but I like to use it for simple applications. Havent used it in over a year so I was showing a new guy how easy it was. Went to download program and got the error: CCW shell encountered a problem and needs to close. RA tech support is no help. Its supposedly caused by MS security update. Cannot find that update on my laptop to remove.Anyone else have this same experience. Thank you
Old June 26th, 2020, 05:34 AM   #2
mikeexplorer
United States

About a year ago, I downloaded it and installed it to "kick the tires" I was looking at upgrading the PLC I was using for my model train project and was looking at several options. I could not get this software to work at all. I installed it on two computers (one a Windows 7 laptop, the other a Windows 10 desktop) Neither worked, had endless errors and trying to uninstall it was a mess.

Seemed a shame, the Micro series would have worked well for the train project and not be terribly expensive.

Ultimately I chose to upgrade to a Micrologix 1400 and I bought a copy of RSlogix Micro, I had been using the free version with a Micrologix 1000 and found that program to be reliable.

Mike
Old June 26th, 2020, 06:31 AM   #3
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm3r1 View Post
I know that CCW is not a widely used platform
I think you would be surprised... I would say that is one of the fastest growing ones

For your error see here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=119041

Are you using V12?
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:05 AM   #4
damica1
United States

CCW V12 requires Net framework 3.5 and windows 10 does NOT have that as a core.

You will have to download it first and install. Once that is finished you should have no trouble getting CCW installed and working.

Unlocking the power of IOT in Oil & Gas!
Old June 26th, 2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Drew Ethridge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I can't answer your exact question but wanted to mention two issues I had with CCW. First, I have NEVER been able to get the "Discover" function to work. Second, it seems to be very particular about when the PC is connected to USB/Ethernet and when the software is turned on. If I remember correctly I had to connect my VM to the device and then start the software. If I did it in the other order it never worked. Just happened to do it in the right sequence while I was on the phone with tech support...
Old June 26th, 2020, 10:49 AM   #6
hamm3r1
United States

Thanks for the replies. For some reason The framework 3.5 wont download so I'll have to get our IT guy to look into that. I've checked my security patches and I dont see any that have been mentioned. I'm working with CCW V 12 simulator and still get the shell error. This is frustrating.
Old June 26th, 2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Zimmer
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

I tried CCW a long time ago,and I only tried it on the lowly Micro 810s, which seemed to me to be similar to the Zelio or Logo smart relays, except it was a huge download and forever wanted to update or has some problem.
Then I had another go a short time ago and I was getting to like it and the software seemed much better, than I remembered. I was nearly converted, but had what seemed like a minor issue and even here nobody seemed to really know what the issue was.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=123858

so the micro 810s went back in the miscellaneous section.

Last edited by Zimmer; June 26th, 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old June 26th, 2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Dravik
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm3r1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. For some reason The framework 3.5 wont download so I'll have to get our IT guy to look into that. I've checked my security patches and I dont see any that have been mentioned. I'm working with CCW V 12 simulator and still get the shell error. This is frustrating.
You'll need the Win10 install files, specifically the sources folder.

Code:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:F:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
Change F:\sources\sxs to where ever the files are.

Run from an admin cmd or powershell prompt.
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:42 AM   #9
hamm3r1
United States

Gentlemen,thanks for the info. I did get V 12 to work finally. RA support article.
  1. Navigate to the extraction location of the Connected Components Workbench installation files: *\12.00.00-CCW-INT-Std-DVD
  2. Navigate to *\12.00.00-CCW-INT-Std-DVD\12.00.00-CCW\Setup\Trending
  3. Right click on TrendInstaller.msi and select Repair
  4. Reboot your PC

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum