You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old June 30th, 2020, 04:51 PM   #16
Kroger2013
United States

As requested. The runtime looks different due to me adding them manually as suggested by Rockwell Technical Support.
Attached Images
File Type: png Design.PNG (50.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png shortcut verifier.PNG (50.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: png Runtime.PNG (30.0 KB, 12 views)
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:21 PM   #17
_Dock_
United States

When you put the non working version in the HMi, can you ping it from your network with your PC?

Are you keeping the frimware the same or changing it each time you revert back? I don’t believe a firmware change Will wipe the IP address on the hmi, but it is Rockwell, anything is possible.

Sometimes it’s the easy things. Maybe try to see it in linx as well?
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:23 PM   #18
Kroger2013
United States

I can see the processor, I can ping it and I can see the HMI establish two CIP connections to the processor.
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:41 PM   #19
_Dock_
United States

Are you using the ME transfer utility? If so do you have “replace communications” checkbox selected when doing the transfer?
Old June 30th, 2020, 06:24 PM   #20
Kroger2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dock_ View Post
Are you using the ME transfer utility? If so do you have “replace communications” checkbox selected when doing the transfer?
yes
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:12 PM   #21
_Dock_
United States

Well, all the basics seem to be covered. You are concerned with the node limit. If possible have you tried removing a few devices to see if the problem resolves itself? The only clear path of consistency I can see is that your colleagues have the same issue, that would say hardware issue to me.

I’m sure you’ve considered these things. I just don’t know what else to offer you to help. If not a hardware problem, then this is deep in software somewhere that is probably a perfect storm to your application.

Judging by the lack of responses by people on this website that are way smarter than me I would guess they are stumped as well.
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:14 PM   #22
_Dock_
United States

With the new revamp to the knowledge base it is mostly useless. I looked through some of the articles and nothing seemed to apply to your problem.
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:20 PM   #23
Kroger2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dock_ View Post
With the new revamp to the knowledge base it is mostly useless. I looked through some of the articles and nothing seemed to apply to your problem.
Agreed. I gave up on it for the day. I have made sure I was down to 28 CIP connections out of 32 being used when I put the rev 10 HMI in place. Still, no luck.
Old July 1st, 2020, 07:44 AM   #24
Jmeadows7676
United States

You could make a test project just to see where the problem is. Create a New Project talking to those PLCs if it works then something is up with the Conversion from 6 to 10.
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:30 AM   #25
Kroger2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeadows7676 View Post
You could make a test project just to see where the problem is. Create a New Project talking to those PLCs if it works then something is up with the Conversion from 6 to 10.
I will try that today. Thanks.
Old July 1st, 2020, 09:47 AM   #26
Operaghost
United States

The Communications Setup can contain devices that no longer exist. As you connect to networks it will discover devices. Then if you connect on a different network those devices are "hidden". So it maintains a sort of history of devices. On the Ethernet driver there is an option to Show All Devices. Deleting shortcuts does not delete this "history".

What I would try next, is to delete the RSLinx Enterprise (or the new name: FactoryTalk Link) server and then recreate it. Then recreate the shortcuts. This will wipe out all of the old stuff.

On another note, the Shortcut Verify button is useless. It does not verify the shortcut at all. It simply verifies that you have selected a device on the Local and the Runtime tabs, as well as checking for an offline tag file. It does not verify that the shortcut actually works.

OG
Old July 1st, 2020, 09:57 AM   #27
Kroger2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost View Post
The Communications Setup can contain devices that no longer exist. As you connect to networks it will discover devices. Then if you connect on a different network those devices are "hidden". So it maintains a sort of history of devices. On the Ethernet driver there is an option to Show All Devices. Deleting shortcuts does not delete this "history".

What I would try next, is to delete the RSLinx Enterprise (or the new name: FactoryTalk Link) server and then recreate it. Then recreate the shortcuts. This will wipe out all of the old stuff.

On another note, the Shortcut Verify button is useless. It does not verify the shortcut at all. It simply verifies that you have selected a device on the Local and the Runtime tabs, as well as checking for an offline tag file. It does not verify that the shortcut actually works.

OG

I did that under the runtime tab. I deleted all of the devices under the backplane as suggested by Rockwell Technical Support. It did not work.
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:13 AM   #28
Operaghost
United States

No, I am saying to delete the server. Not the shortcuts or the hidden devices. Make it rebuild the comms server.

OG
Old July 1st, 2020, 10:44 AM   #29
Kroger2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost View Post
No, I am saying to delete the server. Not the shortcuts or the hidden devices. Make it rebuild the comms server.

OG
Are you talking about deleting the server under the Communications tab?
Old July 1st, 2020, 11:38 AM   #30
Operaghost
United States

Right-click on RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx and delete it. You can add it back in the same way.

I would delete it and probably reboot the PC before I added it back.

OG
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum