I can Ping, but i cant see it in RSlinx HELP

gareth_mint

Can anyone tell me why i can ping a node (hmi in this case) but RS linx wont see it using the Ethernet/IP driver.

My Rockwell software is running in a VM with the network adaptor set to NAT.

This normally works for me, but im not sure whats changed.

thanks for any advice

Gareth

I can't explain why it works... I'm sure the more advanced guys on here could.

i just chalk it up to being one of Rockwell's quirky 'features'

I tried that and it works, this confused me more!

thanks for the reply

If browsing Linx with an EtherNet/IP driver returns no results but the Ethernet Linx driver is successful (just like the ordinary CMD/'Ping') is probably because of your particular system topology.

Most likely, your PC's NIC is not located on the same subnet as the target device; EtherNet/IP RSLinx drivers cannot 'hop' on a different network segment (subnet) even if the machine you are using and the network switches are setup to do so.

When the target devices are located on other network segments than the PC's NIC is connected to one would use an Ethenet RSLinx driver in order to establish connectivity.

dmargineau is correct above.

Further to this though, specifically the reason this is happening with your VM is because you are using NAT mode.

Try setting your VM's NIC to bridged mode, and then set your IP in your VM to be on the same network as your HMI, and you will be able to use the Ethernet/IP driver as you would expect.