Cable needed for Panelview 1000 to PC serial port?

pjzelda

Hello gentlemen. First time posting here and I'm pretty green with programming so I was hoping for some assistance.

I'm trying to connect to the RS-232 of an AB Panelview 1000 (Cat no. 2711-T10C14X) touchscreen using the serial port of my laptop. Not sure if this connection is possible or if I need to go another route with the connections. All I'm trying to do is upload the current program to save it on the hard drive. Basically I just wanted to know a cable number that I can use for this. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

PS. I do have a pile of different PLC cables for various pieces of equipment but I am afraid that if I use one with the wrong pinout that I may damage something.

Not close to my equipment to get a number, but I can tell you.... They are EXPENSIVE!!!

I think the last one cost us $1800

Warning**** NEVER plug your panel view cable into the DB9 port of anything else (i.e. Micrologix) It will cook the cable!!!!

They have some circuits in one end of the cable.

Might want to call your AB Rep.

pjzelda,
Are you sure about that cat. number "C14"?

TheStarr

Not close to my equipment to get a number, but I can tell you.... They are EXPENSIVE!!!

I think the last one cost us $1800

Warning**** NEVER plug your panel view cable into the DB9 port of anything else (i.e. Micrologix) It will cook the cable!!!!

They have some circuits in one end of the cable.

Might want to call your AB Rep.

What are you talking about? If the op's PV is a standard PV then the RS232 port can use a simple straight cable. Cheap at any Radio Shack.

Yep Mickey, the cat no. is 2711-T10C14X

I just spoke with my AB rep and he had a hard time finding it, guessing it's a little outdated which is pretty normal in these old mills. He did eventually find a match but is going to get back to me as far as the cable goes. Thanks for responding.

Yep Mickey, the cat no. is 2711-T10C14X

I just spoke with my AB rep and he had a hard time finding it, guessing it's a little outdated which is pretty normal in these old mills. He did eventually find a match but is going to get back to me as far as the cable goes. Thanks for responding.

A Google search tells me its a modbus protocol terminal.
http://allen-bradley.industrialpartner.com/other-industrial-2/2711-t10c14.htm

The upload/download - printer port will use a straight thru cable. Hopefully the port has not been configured for a printer.
If so you will have to get to the configuration screen and change it there.
It the port is set for upload/download then use the DF1 driver in RSLinx and it should connect.

The panel has a modbus and a RS-232 terminal. The modbus is currently connected to the PLC (Modicon). Can I disconnect the PLC cable and plug directly into the PC? Just curious if this would also work.

The panel has a modbus and a RS-232 terminal. The modbus is currently connected to the PLC (Modicon). Can I disconnect the PLC cable and plug directly into the PC? Just curious if this would also work.

Do you mean, try to use the modbus port to upload the Pv's program? I don't think so. If nothing was connected to the PV"s RS232 aux port then it a good bet its still configured for upload/download. Use the port with a straight thru cable.
If you mean you want to use the existing cable for this give it a try just chnge ports on the PV.

Note: I have not used a modbus PV, so I don't know if the cable between your Modicon PLC and the PV is a straight thru.

Last edited:
Do you mean, try to use the modbus port to upload the Pv's program? I don't think so. If nothing was connected to the PV"s RS232 aux port then it a good bet its still configured for upload/download. Use the port with a straight thru cable.
If you mean you want to use the existing cable for this give it a try just chnge ports on the PV.

Note: I have not used a modbus PV, so I don't know if the cable between your Modicon PLC and the PV is a straight thru.

Thanks for the tips Mickey. The Panelview to PLC cable I was thinking of using was not compatible. The prior link you had left in an earlier post seems accurate though. I just got a confirmation from my AB rep and the cables that can be used are 2711-NC13 (16ft.) or a 2711-NC14 (32ft.) with the only differences being the length. I ordered the 16 footer for $128, not cheap but certainly not in the thousands! :) The RS-232 port should already be configured for uploading/downloading so I should be good on that front. Again thanks to all that have chimed in. I'll check back in once I get the program saved.