Sinamics S120

plcengineer

I have a new system that I am working on.. It consists of a CU-320-2 DP, AIM, ALM and three motor modules... The three motor modules will be designated as one master and two slaves.. We will set the speed for the master from the plc via profibus, then we need to send dynamic ratios to the slaves.. For example, we will set M1 Speed, then we will adjust the ratio-speed of S1 Vs M1 and we will adjust ratio-speed of S2 Vs M1..

Do I need a CBE20 card in my CU-320-2 DP or can I just plug drives in CLIQ?

Does anyone have any information that would be helpful with me to start getting this setup.. I am a newbie to the Sinamics Platform..

I would like some assistance on how to setup the master-slave system that I am referring to..

Thanks,

You don’t need a cbe20
What is the dp master?
And what is the process ?
I doubt gearing is needed unless this is a printing application or similar

The DP Master is an AB PLC using a Profibus SST Card
The process is a machine that unwinds yarn and winds it on a winder.. Coordinated Drives.. Master with Two Slaves that follow Master Speed with Dynamic Ratio's
The master reference speed is set and then the other two drives are a ratio to the master.. The winder has a sensor that measures buildup and then translates to diameter
The plc decides the dynamic ratios for both slaves referencing the master
All the code for ratio's, speed settings are in place now because it has an older drive system and we are upgrading the drives to Sinamics..
The gearing sounds like it should work.. For example, the Master Drive M1 is set to a constant speed from the plc.. Then, the plc calculates a ratio of M1 speed to S1 speed and sends to drives.. The plc calculates a ratio of M1 speed to S2 speed and sends that to drives..

I have used gearing with another manufacturer servo drives before and that worked great.. I am just not sure the best approach to take.. Any suggestions???

I couldn't open the link to the Sinamics S120 Gearing? Can I get to it another way?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the code worked out already and that is the way the original system worked. I still think gearing with dcc is overkill for this application. But that’s just my two cents.
I would get the gsd files inserted.. tune the drives, get the scaling correct and let it fly
I’m curious, what we’re the original drives? Siemens or ?

I agree that it is overkill.. I don't need position control.. How would I setup the drives like I listed above..

The existing was an upgraded DC Drive Platform with Communications.. I think it was a proprietary type drive from a company that upgraded machine

We did purchase the DCC Editor so we have that capability with the starter software

As far as setting up the drives... I would get your distributor in to assist you. Did you buy from Wesco or ?
Trying to tell you all the steps on this site would be tough.
If the Siemens website ever starts working again, there is a step by step guide there

No, the company that I work for bought them from a corporate account out of state.. Do you have a reference for the step by step manual we can review. Thanks.

I was mainly wanting to get an overview of how to setup the drives to do ratios to a master.. I have done other platforms but new to the S120.. Once I receive all the hardware, I will be able to set things up.. I wasn't sure if there was a ratio block that I could tie into the DCC or ? Not looking for details at this point, just overview.. I have had issues on the Siemens Website.. Do you know of a manual that will show me the step by step process you described?

Last edited:
JRW, Thanks for the help.. I am sure that I may have more questions as I start setting things up.. Your assistance is very much appreciated..