Data Acquisition from PLC

PLC Gremlin

I have a project that requires retreiving data from a PLC and storing (saving) that data (to a PC?) for later viewing, printing, etc...

The data will be minimal. A few integers will need to be stored per minute along with time and date stamping and some bit values.

The data will be brought into a PLC from different devices. I will be using either a Micrologix or SLC platform. I have been looking at ethernet cards for each of these to connect to a PC. There are alot of options out there. Just curious on what other people use for this type of application...

Thanks..

I have a couple of 5/04's networking to a pc on DH+ on a KTx card

The logging software is RStrend (legacy product) but this was installed in 98/99 (from memory) and has not fallen over yet!

The Trend Log can be exported to an excel file for external viewing etc

I think that RSView has a trending add on which is the newer version of RSTrend

Here is a "LINK" to a nifty device that may work well in your application. The LoggeR is made by Entertron, who has been making PLC's for over 25 years. I haven't played with a LoggeR yet, but the PLC's are great! The LoggeR connects to a PLC, and will output an Excel Spread Sheet. It would be best to check with Entertron on the best way to interface with the PC. I suspect that this device is very cost effective like all their products.

You can download the manual from the website.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
There are a variety of ways to do this. Look in the RSLogix help files at Visual Basic Applications, its possible to use a macro to place the information in Excel.

www.kepware.com also offers options as any scada type software.

Also look at OPC/DDE options.