Can't update firmware to 1769-L33ER

That is exactly what I am saying.

I say it, because it is true.
At least for six processors I am working with, all of Firmware V20.13, build 81.
And, it is not just me...Rockwell advises that this _might_ be the case, for V20.13.
I ammend the _might_ as a _will_.

It may be specific to that firmware, I have six L33ER's running V21.11 that I've downloaded to multiple times without having to re-flash the firmware.

-Benaiah

Hello
please help me
i can control & monitor delta hmi with mobile or laptop (with eremote software)but when i want do it with another lap.. & mobile with another ip i can't do
for example when hmi & laptop connect to same ip 1.1.1.1 i can monitor but when laptop connect to 1.1.1.2 & hmi connect to 1.1.1.1 ip i can't monitor & control..

I had the same issue with the 1769-L33ER I found the issue.
Don't expand the tree all the way out to the compact bus if you do you will get the error every time, select the processor directly under usb.

Yeah everyone Listen to DAVE

Don't branch out to the processor. click on the first branch.. That is how I had my 1769-L33ER worked for me.

Just powered up a new L33-ERM today and same issue with firmware loading. I remembered seeing this thread so looked it up and sure enough dave5777 fix was the answer.

Thanks

🍻

It may be specific to that firmware, I have six L33ER's running V21.11 that I've downloaded to multiple times without having to re-flash the firmware.

-Benaiah

Actually, the long-time-to-find ultimate issue was that there was a third-party card in the I/O line up.
IF the software was attempted to be downloaded while that card was non inhibited, the processor would fault, and a firmware flash would be required.
SO, the work-around was to INHIBIT the third-party card BEFORE downloading, and remove the INHIBIT after the download.
Doing that works every time.
Sorry for the delay-this was a while ago.

Power to the forum. I have done a firmware update many times but for some reason was drilling down to the compactbus this time and was getting the nondescript error message. Thanks dave5777 for the post (y).

Another tip is to re-start RSLogix5000 if it happens to be open after the update otherwise will just grey-out the download option.

Just for clarity...

The "fix" that dave5777 advised has been mentioned here on the Forum a good few times in different threads since the newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers were released.

Selecting the uppermost controller node is not a "fix" to an error as such, but more the correct method to access these newer controllers via their embedded ports.

Users, who are flashing these controllers for the first time, and have previous experience of flashing the older 1769 CompactLogix controllers, are seemingly unaware of the fact that you now simply have to select the controller at its first instance under the communications driver, whether using USB or Ethernet, instead of drilling down to the CompactBus to select it, as you do with the older controllers.

This is because the newer CompactLogix have a simplified path to the embedded ports which exposes the processor more directly as the first hop to external communications.

With the older CompactLogix controllers you have to first access the CompactBus before the processor can be exposed, creating an extra hop for external communications.

This is also why the communications paths you set for message instructions in the newer controllers involve less hops. It is all designed to simplify the communications configuration to and from the controller.

Here is the official guide to using ControlFlash with the old and new CompactLogix controllers. Among other things, it specifically mentions the errors ye are receiving...

44379 - CompactLogix: unable to flash firmware, device is not in the proper mode
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

I had the same issue with the 1769-L33ER I found the issue.
Don't expand the tree all the way out to the compact bus if you do you will get the error every time, select the processor directly under usb.

Wow, thanks Dave! was struggling with a L24 today and found this thread. Your comment helped me so much I decided to join the site! First time post