problems writing analog values with RSView32

kevinctc

Hi,

On my current project i am using RSView32, RSLinx Classic OEM, and Control Logix. As of yesterday, everything was working fine. We had a hard power outage and now I am experiencing problems. I am able to write binary data from RSView to the PLC and read binary data from the PLC. I can read analog data from the PLC too. The problem happens when I try to write analog data to the PLC. RSView just freezes up for about 3 minutes then it unfreezes but the analog data i tried writing to the PLC never gets there. This is a strange problem that i cannot figure out. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Hi,

On my current project i am using RSView32, RSLinx Classic OEM, and Control Logix. As of yesterday, everything was working fine. We had a hard power outage and now I am experiencing problems. I am able to write binary data from RSView to the PLC and read binary data from the PLC. I can read analog data from the PLC too. The problem happens when I try to write analog data to the PLC. RSView just freezes up for about 3 minutes then it unfreezes but the analog data i tried writing to the PLC never gets there. This is a strange problem that i cannot figure out. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Have you viewed the Log Files for any clues? The Logging Function for RSView is fairly descent. I would also check the Communications Events, and Server Diagnostics in RSLinx. Are you using DDE or OPC for communications with the PLC?

Stu......

Have you viewed the Log Files for any clues? The Logging Function for RSView is fairly descent. I would also check the Communications Events, and Server Diagnostics in RSLinx. Are you using DDE or OPC for communications with the PLC?

Stu......
Stu,
I didn't see anything in the log files. where are the communications events stored? I'm using and OPC server.

Thanks,
KEvin

Stu,
I didn't see anything in the log files. where are the communications events stored? I'm using and OPC server.

Thanks,
KEvin

Open RSLinx and click on DDE/OPC on the Menu Bar. Communication Events is the 4th item down. I was hoping someone else would jump in that might have seen this problem. It has never happened to me, so I have never had to sort it out.

Stu.....

Sounds to me like a read of info below may help you, I copied it from a post of mine from 6 months back

This I have posted before.
Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.