Factorytalk Linx on Server?

Kalagaraz

Is there a way to setup paths on a server that all laptops, comptuer, etc.... can access?

We have a VLAN per production line setup by our I.T department and we can't get the auto-discovery ethip driver to discover anything setup on a VLAN. We use just the regular eth driver instead.

The problem is we have about 6 laptops, several desktop computers etc... and hundreds of devices so setting them all up and maintaining them across laptops, vmware instances, and desktop computers has become completely unmanageable.

I was hoping adding devices to the factorytalk linx on our factorytalk network directory would replicate to all clients, but it appears it does not?

You could set it all up once on a PC, then create a backup to install on the rest of the PCs.

Yeah I thought about that, but that doesn't solve the issue of managing adding new devices.

There are 6 laptops circulating around in various peoples hands and maybe 14 desktop computers on floor for maintenance techs. Assetcentre server + factorytalk directory in VMware in datacenter, then about 5 desktops where people actively use assetcentre client, and factorytalk view on VMware on server as well. All of those would need to be updated and they aren't all exactly readily accessible.

It seems crazy that no one else hasn't ran into this to believe there isn't some server based automated solution just like Factorytalk Directory (network vs local).

I'm curious as to what all of these computers are using that they all require FT Linx installed. Is this a View SE distributed application or something else? I was confused by this statement
"..we can't get the auto-discovery ethip driver to discover anything setup on a VLAN. We use just the regular eth driver instead."

That sounds like RSLinx Classic. not FT Linx.

If you had a server setup with FT Linx installed that was able to reach all of your devices, you could configure device shortcuts in the Communications Setup screen. But they would all have to be on the same VLAN.

Then, using the Network FTD, anyone that was part of that directory could use that server instead of the one on their local machine. Anyone accessing FT Linx would automatically see those device shortcuts.

But I'm still curious what the applications are and want to be sure we are talking about the correct flavor of Linx.

OG