New PLC Network Help

kbradray

This site has bailed me out in the past, and I have several questions that still need to be answered concerning PLC networking. I am taking a new position with a company to bring it into the 21st century. They have several SLCs on the floor individually running equipment. I know prior to starting the new job that I will be required to network all of the PLCs on a network of my choice. My experience is working with an existing network of a domain server, Logix, SLCs, and PLC5s via a switch/router. I have read on this site that we need to keep the PLC network and the corporate network separate and the reasons behind this. I am familiar with OPC/DDE (linxPro) but I need any information or direction you can give as far as 1) creating a PLC network and 2) tying the PLC network in with a corporate network (I would assume with linx gateway) for data acquisition. Below are some specific questions I have:

• What is the difference between the linx drivers AB_ETH and AB_ETHIP?
• What networking tools and methods are recommended for the PLC network?
• Some guidance on how linx gateway works.
• What is the best way to network PLCs? Can they be connected together with individual IP addresses into 1 remote switch/router?

Please forgive my elementary level of questions, but this is new territory for me. Thanks for any help.

Ken

Combination of the two. I don't know what I have to work with at this time other than the new company uses SLC processors. I am planning to have to add everything to create the network including PLC communication cards to ethernet the processors. I am looking for any help so that I can be somewhat prepared prior to starting my job on the 9th.

ken

kbradray said:
.. the new company uses SLC processors...

If they are all 504's then I would look at a DH+, I have had very good luck with it, depending on how many they have, you could be looking at some big bucks getting them all on the Ethernet one at a time, I have a DH+ network and I have one CLX on the data hwy, this is how I get them all over to the ethernet, you can use the CLX as a bridge...that said I'm still installing it, not much time these days for the fun stuff

Good luck on your new job

Thanks Genious. I guess you are correct. I will actually see what I have to work with to get a better idea of what I have to do. Thanks for all help.

|ken