AB RSlogix5 CTD

I am trying to use a CTD to count down for 10 counts, but when the CTD is triggered the accumulated value starts counting down from 0 then goes to the negative numbers. Shouldnt this CTD start at the preset value of 10 and count down to 0?

CTD behavior in PLC-5

You probably have to begin with the accumulated value equal to the preset. At that point (it's a little wierd to my way of thinking) the DONE bit will be on.

Each false-to-true transition of the rung will count down by one, until you reach zero. If you roll over to negative numbers the DONE bit will come on again.

If you use a RES (Reset) instruction, the accumulated value will go to zero. Probably you'll want to instead reset the counter by MOVing a value of 10 back into the accumulator.

As I learned it, the CTD instruction wasn't really meant to be used alone, but rather in conjunction with the CTU instruction on the same Timer data element, so one would increment and one would decrement the counter's value. That's why you don't really have an opposite accumulator function with CTD; the PLC is still thinking of a "up" counter.

Last edited:
I almost always use the add instruction (or in your case, the subtract instruction) for all of my counting. You don't have to play games with the EN bit to disable the false to true transition requirment of the counters, plus its just plain easier.