micrologix 1100 Memory Module for loading program

SteveyD

Need to load several micrologix 1100 units with the same program. The 1100's are new in box from the factory and in many different locations. Can I save the program from my development PC to the memory modules then at each site plug in the module & load the program without ever attaching a PC or RsLogix to the PLC? Something like a simple menu option on the PLC "load program from module"? Same question for disaster recovery, can I leave a copy on the memory module and load if needed? To me thats what Transport and Backup mean, not transport the program on the module along with the pc to start RsLogix to set a flag to recognize the module - which is all I see in the manual. Just has to be a way to use the PLC and the Memory module and hope someone knows what that is. A Rockwell tech told me it was possible but then the link to documentation did not work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

When a MicroLogix or SLC-500 controller boots up, it checks for the presence of a memory module and reads the EEPROM options from the program stored on the module.

Specifically, the MicroLogix checks the settings for S:1/10 (Load Memory Module on Memory Error) and S:1/11 (Load Memory Module Always).

Both of these functions require that the memory module get installed and stay installed, so you would need one memory module per MicroLogix 1100 in the field. You would install the module in a bench-test controller, set the options, save to the memory module, then ship each memory module to the field. If the controllers really are "out of the box", you could use S:1/10 and the controllers would load the program just once.

The MicroLogix 1100 also has a little LCD screen and function keys, so you can do a little bit more with it. You could create a Memory Module on your bench but leave both S:1/10 and S:1/11 at zero.

When you send the memory module out into the field, you can install it and use the keypad and LCD screen to command the controller to load from the memory module. The program will then be retained in the controller and you can move the memory module on to the next controller, and the next, and the next. You can even remove the memory module with the power on.

If a controller failed in the future, you would have to do the same process. The remoteness of your controllers and the odds that they will need updates individually in the future will help you decide whether to spend the money on Memory Modules for each one, or to move one memory module around and trust the onboard battery to retain power.

Directions on using the LCD and the "Advanced Config" menu to load/store from the Memory Module are in the MicroLogix user manual.

I think Memory Modules are very cheap insurance, especially for very remote controllers.

In retrospect, all the information you need is in the User Manual, so maybe you just need a good link to that.

All RA publications are available in PDF format from the Rockwell Automation Literature website. You can also order them in paperback from your distributor.

Start at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com

Search by keyword for "MicroLogix 1100 User Manual"

The second result should be the MicroLogix 1100 User Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1763-um001_-en-p.pdf

Excellent - I cannot thank you enough for the information. I only posted this question after hours of reading thru the documentation. I was going to the Index and looking for anything related to Memory Module and only seeing it used in conjunction with RsLogix and didnt want to burn more time if I was on the wrong path. Loading via the LCD is perfect for both first time load and as you say a leave behind in case its needed for disaster recovery. Thanks again.

Hi Ken.
I looked all through the docs and I cannot find a way to tell the ML1100 to load from a memory module by using the LCD screen.
Am I missing something.
Regards Alan Case

I'm guessing Ken means to use the LCD screen to toggle a B3 bit, and have S:1/11 (Load Memory Module Always) mirror the state of that bit in a rung of logic.

Whoops; I was thinking of the MicroLogix 1400, which has a similar LCD and keypad and has EEPROM load/store accessible in the Advanced Menu.

I will try to figure out for certain if this function is available in the MicroLogix 1100. I certainly assumed it was, but need to find out for sure.

I don't think that function is available in the 1100.
Setting bits in logic sort of defeats the purpose of being able to load an out of the box ML1100 with a memory module only.
Regards Alan Case

You can load an out-of-the-box MicroLogix 1100 with a Memory Module, if the Memory Module is set for "Load on Memory Error". You just have to leave the Memory Module onboard.

I think the mechanism for using a Memory Module as a one-time loading device is going to be to use the Load on Memory Error function, then un-set bit S:1/10 somehow. I'm going to have to figure that out but there's a shortage of spare MicroLogix around the office right now.

Appreciate the effort on the one time loading piece Ken. If I have any luck with it on my end I will post and will check back and see if you have any news, thanks.

I might start annoying the ML1100 designers to try and get them to upgrade the 1100 to the same feature set as the 1400 for the memory load functions from the LCD.
Regards Alan Case

Ok, I have it working where I can use the memory module to load the program on a new PLC. Thru PLC menu went to Run Program, system goes to Fault because no program is loaded on the PLC, insert memory module with program on it, select Run again and program loads. At this point I can remove module or leave it in, does not matter.

Question, is there a way to force a Fault thru the LCD menu/keys? Or to completely erase a program with the key pad - combination to re-set PLC to factory default? If there is this would completely solve my issue. In the case of needing to update the program or re-load in a non-fault state I could create a fault and repeat the first steps outlined above. I know I can set the PLC to Always load program from the memory module and while that would solve Updates and Initial Loading it is another fault point in the system - what if just the memory module goes bad, the PLC will not re-start. Unlike many of your applications these PLCs could have power cycled a few times a month. Always loading from memory module is an unecessary fault point if I can somehow erase the program or force a Fault condition. These are remote units with no RS-Logix Pc anywhere close to them. Any ideas appreciated - I have found nothing in the manuals to this point.

Hello all its quite easy to get the ML1100 to read from memory module on every power reset irrespective of whether its empty or not. Just set the S:1/11 bit in the Processor Status / Memory Module Tab. Go to site, insert module. Power PLC off / on to get the program to load. I then remove module after all the LEDs have stopped flashing and you get two steady green LEds - it can take a few seconds. Power off / on to check the new software version is loaded OK. (I display it in a string in the customised boot message see LCD.CBS). Take module to next site and repeat. I often send modules by post to remote customers to do this and get them to post them back to confirm they have done it.
Any data files with the "memory module download" checkbox ticked normally won't get overwritten if you want to keep site specific parameters or runtime counters.
Hope this helps.
Al