Au revoir to Bonjour

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just a heads up in case someone else runs into this problem.

Recently I took over for a guy who retired from the company. I'm using his PC as he left it, which was nicely set up.

But not long after he left, the network drop out randomly and then, eventually, come back on. This affected not only Rockwell software, but everything else as well. I was offline for up to two hours a day.

So I downloaded Avira and put it to work checking my PC. It did come up with a virus in the version 16 loader program for RS5000, which I deleted, but that didn't help the situation.

But after the next boot, Avira suggested that I reconfigure things to start later to speed up my boot cycle. Among those things was a program from Apple calls "Bonjour", which is designed to aid in networking between Macs and PCs. (He had an Apple iphone from what I understand).

This program didn't show up in the system's "Programs and Features" (so it couldn't be removed), the Task Manager, or in the Start menu. Deleting it was impossible within Windows as well.

Even when the service was stopped, Windows reported that something had the folder open, and it couldn't comply (there were two Bonjour folders, one in C:\Programs, and the other in C:\Programs(x86)).

To deal with this, I loaded Linux up on a stick, and went into the Windows side of the box from it and had my way with it.

This has seemed to fix the problem, I haven't had a bit of trouble out of the network since then.

More or less. I admit that I'm no fan of Apple. Although I do have a couple of Mac-Mini's that will eventually end up as Amigas (MorphOS). :) However, I still use my Newton. Which is a big part of why I'm no fan of Apple. ;>

But the post was about a really odd problem that I was having. And not gratuitous Apple-bashing. And possibly a cautionary tale about loading personal software on production equipment...

At home, it's 99% Linux (the Windows side of this box broke about a year ago, and I still haven't bothered fixing it).

Lol, wasn't trying to imply that you were Apple-bashing, that was me Apple-bashing (and praising Linux). But +1 to not being a fan of Apple.

Related to your original post, not at all surprised, I ran into a similar problem before on an XP box (couldn't uninstall Bonjour). Ridiculous what every Windows app has to do nowadays. In the Apple/iTunes case, installing Bonjour and having the stupid iTunesHelper.exe startup with Windows.

Lol, wasn't trying to imply that you were Apple-bashing, that was me Apple-bashing (and praising Linux). But +1 to not being a fan of Apple.

Yeah, I guess that I am one of those Luddites that thought that a company shouldn't abandon a product, and subsequently deny any new growth for that product, based on which exec came up with the idea.

Related to your original post, not at all surprised, I ran into a similar problem before on an XP box (couldn't uninstall Bonjour). Ridiculous what every Windows app has to do nowadays. In the Apple/iTunes case, installing Bonjour and having the stupid iTunesHelper.exe startup with Windows.

I figured that I couldn't be the only one who had run into this problem. And in all fairness to Apple, the PC that I use has three NICs in it. To say that our networking is complicated is putting it mildly.

I have a list of "broken Windows" and "Rotten Apples".

I'm fond of telling folks that they have to pay me to use Windows. Which is pretty much the truth.

That said, I admire the Gates and what they are doing for charity. And when Microsoft gets their undies in a wad about something (Bunnie hacking the Xbox comes to mind), they usually get over it fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom