Linx Enterprise driver limit?

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I spent a whole bunch of time segregating all the lines in my plant into individual ethernet drivers in Linx enterprise (PLCs and HMIs), and after finishing I have some sort of problem.

If I open an existing HMI application in FTViewME and set up the communications using my new configuration, I can test the application successfully on the PC. But as soon as I download the program to the PanelView I lose comms on all my objects.

I double checked in the application settings that the shortcuts existed on the MER, and they do. They are the same devices the HMI is communicating with no problem in the current program, the only difference is my new setup.

Does linx enterprise have a limit to how many ethernet drivers can be set up in a single configuration? I'm probably rocking like 20 of them right now...

This problem exists on multiple lines by the way. Works in the test environment then doesn't work on the PV.

There isn't supposed to be any limit, except for the PV+ Compact (and the PV+7 Standard) which support only one Shortcut.

Is there any FactoryTalk diagnostic message for the connection failure ?

Here's another guess: have you noticed that modern PV+ applications show a little status message at startup about "uploading controller data" ?

According to RA knowledgebase article 481711, the terminal will try to upload controller data from all the shortcuts at startup, whether they are used or not. With multiple shortcuts, it might run out of memory.

Older applications only did this if there was a client request, so unused shortcuts were never activated.

The solution is probably going to be deleting the un-used drivers in the Runtime configuration tab.

Here's another guess: have you noticed that modern PV+ applications show a little status message at startup about "uploading controller data" ?

According to RA knowledgebase article 481711, the terminal will try to upload controller data from all the shortcuts at startup, whether they are used or not. With multiple shortcuts, it might run out of memory.

Older applications only did this if there was a client request, so unused shortcuts were never activated.

The solution is probably going to be deleting the un-used drivers in the Runtime configuration tab.

Ken, I can always rely on you to have some great suggestions. I will attempt to delete all the unused shortcuts from the runtime file before uploading today and see if it works. Thanks!

I'll report back either way