Momentary PB Hold Time

CapnRon13

HI,
I am getting some inadvertent button pushing from my operators(Panelview Plus 6), and I'm looking to prolong the time needed to hold down the PB before it writes to PLC(ControlLogix). Does the "Hold Time" setting in properties change the time it writes a 1, or does it change the time needed to push button before it operates?
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
HI,
I am getting some inadvertent button pushing from my operators, and I'm looking to prolong the time needed to hold down the PB before it writes to PLC. Does the "Hold Time" setting in properties change the time it writes a 1, or does it change the time needed to push button before it operates?
Thanks,
Ron

Stating your PLC and HMI types would be a good starting point.....

I believe the hold time is how long the button stays pressed after the operator releases the button.

A simple way could be to make the push button turn on a TON timer, with the .DN bit turning on another tag to 1.

pb_capture.PNG

Just a thought,

the screen could be going bad.
we have had several terminals start acting like this before the touch cell finally stayed energized, even when no one was touching the terminal.

as a temporary solution, we had to move the touchscreen buttons so we could run while I got the new one from the store room and programmed it.

we also added plc code looking for the touchscreen buttons sticking creating a fault condition.

james

I believe the hold time is how long the button stays pressed after the operator releases the button.

A simple way could be to make the push button turn on a TON timer, with the .DN bit turning on another tag to 1.

Yes, that is the way to do it: use PLC timer to delay the ON bit.

The Hold Time is the minimum time between button press and release.
Default is 250ms, when pressed it will write a 1 to the tag, then 250ms later (or when the button is released, whichever is later) it will write a 0 to the tag.

You want the minimum hold time to be at least 2x your maximum PLC scan time.
If your maximum PLC scan time is 125ms, then the default push button hold time of 250ms will be okay.