Analog alarm configuration tags in FactoryTalk View ME

Picojoe

In our FactoryTalk View ME HMI panel (PanelView Plus 7), we would like to use the built-in tags for our 1734-IE8 analog input modules. These tags include engineering unit ranges, alarm limits, alarm output bits, faults, etc. To set the values of the configuration tags, we go to the module properties in RSLogix/Studio 5000 and access the Alarm Configuration tab. This works fine, as long as you never have to change any of the configuration values. We need to be able to change the ranges and limits from the HMI. The HMI can link to the tags, but the values do not change in the configuration. We have to go to the configuration in RSLogix and hit "Apply" for any changes to take effect. Is
there a way to "Apply" from the HMI?

We probably will use the ALMA function, instead. We just need to be able to set alarm limits (and possibly deadband) and get the alarm states out. Also, we may need to disable/suppress alarms in certain situations. There are a lot of variables in the alarm_analog structure that we don't need. This system is just displaying and logging analog inputs from a bunch of old panel meters. While we are at it, we wanted to give the operators simple alarms that they can set up and tweak easily.

Many people when they see the alarms and scaling included in the IO card data structure decide to use them instead of creating them in the PLC. However, once they realize the can of worms that comes from managing changes to the configuration it becomes obvious that they are not worth the trouble.