Is it possible to make a programmable cable?

I agree with ThePLCKid. I have one extra deep file cabinet with all our cables each in a large zip-lock bag with the cable part number written on the front with a fat black Sharpie. I have not gone as far as documenting the functionality of each cable as he did though. The big zip-lock bags keep them "trained" nicley and prevents tangling.

When I need several to carry out to the plant floor it is pretty easy to find them and stuff them in one of the laptop bags. Most of my work here is in the shop on a table for our non-networked PLCs.

I have one extra deep file cabinet with all our cables each in a large zip-lock bag with the cable part number written on the front with a fat black Sharpie.

I do this also Okie

The gallon ziplock bags work great we just adda internal part number for the cable to keep up with the documentation as some ab cables can have several documents and I have procedures on using the cable such as driver setup instructions with screen shots and such. Makes it easy for the techs to find stuff.

We have a 4 drawer file cabinet with each drawer full of cables. I am trying to reduce these as we upgrade things.

The Plc Kid said:
Makes it easy for the techs to find stuff.

Where I work right now, if my techs find a problem in which electrons are flowing through wire smaller than 14 gauge, they just call me or Mike.

Funny story: (and this has happened at least three times) "Paul, something's wrong with the PanelView on [machine x]. We press the buttons on the screen and they look like they're working, but none of the lights on the PLC input cards light up."

Where I work right now, if my techs find a problem in which electrons are flowing through wire smaller than 14 gauge, they just call me or Mike."

I only have 3 of those. I guess 3 out of 37 ain't bad

Funny story: (and this has happened at least three times) "Paul, something's wrong with the PanelView on [machine x]. We press the buttons on the screen and they look like they're working, but none of the lights on the PLC input cards light up."

OMG now that is bad. LOL

i think what the OP wants to make is a "programmable" cable which he can configure to talk to different devices, rather than having 10 cables you just have one with a programmable pinout. Of course you can make it - get a little Atmel or PIC microcontroller and a semiconductor switch like one of these - http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC14051B-D.PDF However, I'd ask why spend a couple of days programming a micro and building a circuit when you could spend less than 1-2 hours just making (or buying!) seperate cables. You're probably going to need different plugs on the end anyway - mini-DIN, RJ45, SubD, the list goes on. I work with a heap of different pieces of equipment requiring different RS232 plugs and pinouts. I have one 2 metre "straight through" serial cable, then a couple of little dongles that just plug onto the end of that to give me the right pinout and plug end. Easy to store in the laptop bag. at the end of the day, Keep It Simple. If you've got a programmable device, its just another gadget that might break and you probably couldn't fix it in the field. When I've accidentally stepped on and broken the end of a programming cable out in the middle of nowhere on top of a reservoir - I just bust out the ol' soldering iron and fixed it!

Hello There,

Can you please give me a simple schematic
to use MC14051B

Thank you very much

I think there is one other problem with trying to make a configurable cable to talk to many legacy RS232 devices. There were many devices that used non-standard pin configurations to power auxiliary things like little displays or hand held programmers.

Those could be any voltage under the sun and if connected wrong could fry what is on the other end. It would be a bummer if not only coulldn't you talk to your controller but your laptop or USB/Serial got fried as well đź’€

That link was awesome. Already ordered some goodies! I'd love to see a file on this site where we could keep pinouts for various equipment/combos. (I'd love to get my hands on that folder of ThePLC Kids too! ) LOL

We tend do use standard CAT5 Cables and use DB9 to CAT5 adapters to create the pinouts we need.

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/mjd9.php

Kraken Fan #69

Last edited:
You can buy DB9 to RJ45 adapters and normal ethernet cable. Pinout adapters this way:

http://www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html

On result you have

DB9 null modem
DB9 straight cable.
ethernet cable
ethernet crossover cable

And you can make different adapters to another end.

If you need longer cable then change only ethernet to longer between different adapters

An idea that no one seems to have mentioned here, you can actually use a transistor in series with each wire of the cable, and then use it as a simple gate. Connect the controlling end of the transistor to your PLC voltage, and it should provide high(Based on your transistor choice) resistance.

It can also be done with relays I guess, but that seems a little too bulky, other people would know better.

Thanks!
-PeeLC

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that your requirements included swapping pins, rather than just disabling them. You'll need a microprocessor for that, with the processor scan rate being at least double the bit rate of your serial communication. More about how to calculate bit rate here: https://www.electronicdesign.com/communications/what-s-difference-between-bit-rate-and-baud-rate
If I was designing this device, I would look at my fastest rate and then pick out a micro/Processor that would satisfy my criteria.

ScanRate = 1/ScanTime

Last edited:
Lare,

Just a guess but I think the OP (ISteak) has either bought or made the cable in the past 7 years and no longer needs it :rolleyes:

Pretty much possible. It still not mean that someone else don't search same information later.
Or is only new questions allowed :rolleyes:
I don't see any harm if I reduced cables with five on last week with soldering couple adapters and sharing that info. Even that you can find same info with google if you are lucky.
Oh yes, I still need both cables sometimes also on field.

Should we start new thread of cables even that there is also old thread of same?

Last edited: