Oh no, problems with OMRON touch screen

BJR

This is my second OMRON project. Same screen NT31C. New PLC to me, the CJ1M family. Last time it was the CMP2A? Anyway, this time I am using the dedicated Word area for internal PLC bits instead of the common I/O area bits not used by external I/O and have programmed 10 screens full of push buttons with Work Area addresses and the screen doesn't like it at all. For example the first screen has a button with touch area W0020.00 and the light is W0021.00. The error that comes up on the screen after booting is Address Setting Error. for address WR00021.
Any idea what I might be doing wrong??

This sounds like Siemens!!

BJR

I will first state that I do not know the PLC or the screen you are using, I have never had 'the pleasure' of working with them.

Originally posted by BJR

the first screen has a button with touch area W0020.00 and the light is W0021.00

This is the sort of thing that Siemens screens do (I have notice that the TP270 does not) when using internal 'M' bits. The bytes are swapped, for example M0.0 on the screen is M1.0 in the PLC, M1.0 on the screen is M0.0 in the PLC. This is a common thing for Siemens and once you are used to it, it does not become a problem.

This seem to me to be what you are experiencing.

Perhaps an Omron expert could verify that.

Paul

Just for test create new project with push button and light only with 20.00 and 22.00.and see what happen I think the problem is in anoter place not in the push buttons.

Last edited:
I still have the same problem. Note that I am using W20.00 and W21.00 not 20.00 and 21.00 (common i/o area).
I just found a chart in the manual that lists what type of memory can be used with lights and buttons but I dont know if my PLC is listed. The chart shows C series, CV series, and CS1 series. I have the CJ1M series. Is that different that the 3 in the book? If so, I will not know what data areas I am allowed to use. It looks like I could test out the Internal I/O area between 3800.00 and 6143.00. If one button works I could spend the next hour adding 4000 on to every address I have - like W0020.00 becomes 4020.00. At least I'll be out of trouble! ...

What's the system version of the firmware that are using in the NT31C?
What communication protocol are you using - Hostlink or NTLink?
Treat a CJ1M exactly like a CS1 PLC as far as memory map.

ver 3.18
not sure what communication is called. I am using a C200M-CN320-EU cable between the PLC and screen into Port A (I assume serial).
Memory compatability on the touch switch has a subnote for WR area
that Host Link Not Available. So then, does that have something to do with the communication I am using whether or not WR area is available? By the way switching to common I/o area 4020.00 and 4021.01 seems to make the screen happy. I'll have to see if the PLC responds after I change it. By 'offsetting' all of my existing addresses by 4000 I should not step on any other areas I was using hopefully

I just changed all of my button and light addresses and I'm fine. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the support.