1769 HSC/B Pulse Count Help

SpecialK87

Hello All,

This is my first time working with encoders and I am a little lost. I have a 1769-HSC/B card on a Compactlogix L32E controller running RSL5000 v20.13. I have a Sick encoder with a PPR of 16,384. My count does not seem to be accurate in the program. I tried to rotate the encoder approximately 1 revolution by hand and have come up with very different counts (it varies by 1000+ pulses in some cases). So I guess one question I have is, if the counter is set for Encoder X1 should my count be 16,384 or 1/4 of that 4,096? Because it's definitely closer to 4,096.

Additionally, I have to rotate the encoder very slowly to even get it to count. In it's actual application I will need the encoder to rotate faster than what I am doing by hand.

I assume since my pulse count is high I need to configure my counter differently to be able count accurately but I am not sure how to do that. I read in the manual about the cyclic rate calculation but I am confused about how I figure out my update time. Am I headed in the right direction?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
-Kyle

Bernie
That was my assumption. It seems to be the case since on X1 I get counts closer to the 4000 mark and X4 it's closer(ish) to 16000. But my counts are so inconsistent I couldn't positively determine that. I will call the manufacturer and get some clarification.

I have had problems getting set up as well. in my case i had to slow down the scan time of my plc as the encoder with every thing else was to much for the plc bus to handle. ended up putting the code for the encoder in its one program and everything in it one program then faster scan time for the encoder. slower for the rest of the program.

What wires are connected to the HSC card?

How is the card configured in RS5k? The filters and operation mode could be affecting how the plc receives counts.