PanelView plus 1000

Controls_FNG

Evening,

I am having trouble restoring a runtime file from one of our HMI's we have. The only problem is, the oem that installed it years ago, does not know the password. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to, lack of better words, "hack" into the .mer file and pull the runtime off of it or am I just SOL and have to make a new HMI display.

Thanks,

the new guy

gclshort,

thank you, however Uploading the file, and getting to the configuration screen is not the issue. The issue is: after i have created the shortcut in RsEnterprise, after i have used the ME Transfer Utility, it is when I go to application manager and choose restore runtime application that i am having the problem.

The .mer is running on v8.2

Am I wrong in reading that, or am I missing something. Still learning.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Let's take a step back and figure out exactly what password-related problem you're running into.

Generally, if you can get to the configuration-mode menus and upload/download a *.MER Runtime file, then you can run that project on a new terminal.

But what you're describing is "unpacking" the *.MER and creating a Project file from it, which can be examined and edited. That's what the "Restore" feature of Application Manager does.

And that's usually what gets password-protected. It's usually done so that a user can't reverse-engineer a feature or function, because the source project for the HMI was not part of the machine system purchase. I've done it on systems where it was important to discourage the client from modifying the control system for liability reasons.

What's your goal; do you want to modify this project, or do you just need to run it on a new PanelView Plus terminal ?

Ken,

Thank you for accurately describing what I was unable to.

My goal, is to be able to modify the project so I can add more alarms/indicators on the display for safety features we are adding to the Logic on the PLC.