Allen Bradley Enable Analog Channel in RSLogix 500 // First Scan Bit, COP function

James275

Hello all.

I have been working with an SLC 5/04 system, which houses various Digital and Analog INs and OUTs, up to Slot 29. I am currently mainly working with Slot 25, an Analog Input: 1746-NI16I. This is a system which has already been set up and has been running for the best part of 8-10 years. This particular card has had some spare inputs, one of which I am trying to connect to. In the Advanced Configuration, only a few Channels are actually "Enabled", and each channel is pretty much slightly different from another in terms of Input Type, Filter Frequency and Data Format. I am trying to set up Input 14, which is Channel 15, to "Enable" it, 4-20mA Input Type, Filter Frequency of 6 Hz and Data Format of either Raw/Proportional or Engineering Units.

Now, after I have made my choices, I click apply, and then OK. I am then confronted by a pop-up which states:

"Configuration Rung and Data

Integer Data File Number: 25

Integer Data Element: 100

Rung to be inserted: XIC S2:1/15 COP #N25:100 #O0:25.0 24

At Program File Number: 4 82"

I have the options of OK or Cancel. If I click OK, I now have LAD 4, Rung 82 Highlighted. This First Scan Bit and COP function were already here, but does that mean I have now altered what is being written to "#O:25.0"? I now Download the Changes. However, after all this, I am not getting any Analog input reading coming in from the Live PLC.

What is this COP function? What does it do? How do I properly set up this Analog Card?

Thanks for your time,

-James

SH_01.PNG SH_02.PNG SH_03.PNG SH_04.PNG SH_05.PNG

This cop instruction writes the configuration of the analog card on power_up (first scan).
for configuration you click on I/O configuration, then configure, you select the channel you want to configure, check the enable box,select which input type, select the filter frequency and at end the data format then apply.
in the last pic I see that the lenght is 4, it should be 24

Hi Tarik1978 - Thanks for the response. I believe you are correct in saying it needs to be 24 instead of 4. As for Data Format, would you say Raw/Proportional is the way to go for a Gas Flow Meter, coming in with 4-20mA, or do you think it should be Engineering Units? (Or a something different?)

Thanks again,
-James

Regarding an input of 4_20mA you will have:
Engineering Unit:4000 to 20000
Scaled for PID: 0 to 16383
Raw Proportional:-32768 to 32767
User Defined Scaling: you will define you owen low and high limits
The scaled-for-PID and proportional count selections provide the highest display resolution, but also require you to manually convert the channel data to “real” units.
You will have to do the scaling in the program.
see the bellow document for scaling examples
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um020_-en-p.pdf