question about socket messages

lunknowl

hi, i try using sample socket messages to send and receive data from another controllogix. in the sample program it have couple msg block that create socket, openconnect, read, delete socket. after i connect and disconnect i need to delete socket to open another connect. is there a bit, or any feedback from openconnect of socket showing that no device connect so i can delete socket? thanks

send and receive data from another controllogix

I presume you are testing your logic, rather than using raw sockets to communicate between ControlLogix instead of MSG instructions or Produced/Consumed Tags.

is there a bit, or any feedback from openconnect of socket showing that no device connect so i can delete socket?

Yes. When you use the OpenConnection service, it can fail because the target device is not listening on that port and returns a connection refusal, or because the target device never responds, resulting in a timeout.

Either one of those results in a .ER bit being set for the OpenConnection MSG instruction.

You can experiment with the exact .ERR and .EX_ERR error codes by disconnecting your target device, or targeting a device with a closed port.