Where did Elon Musk go wrong?

How long does it take to fully charge an electric car?

Is it cost by the kilowatt?

And what the hell do you do while your waiting?

My Milwaukee is 18 volt.....still takes 25 minutes to charge.

If i'm at a gas station for 25 minutes.......someone has a gun.

How long does it take to fully charge an electric car?

Is it cost by the kilowatt?

And what the hell do you do while your waiting?

My Milwaukee is 18 volt.....still takes 25 minutes to charge.

If i'm at a gas station for 25 minutes.......someone has a gun.

Looking up the Tesla Model 3, charge time is 12 hours at 220 volts.

Browsing around a bit, it looks like a lot the charge stations are for topping off while you are at the beach, shopping center, walking the dog, at a park, gym... and have some time to burn.

It is definitely a lifestyle choice. What would bother me is if I needed a top off charge, all charge stations are in use and I had to wait a couple hours for someone to scoot.

Slow gas pumps, you know the ones, tick me off. I was at a gas station in Seymour, Indiana. Man that thing was slow!! I got $1.00 in gas and went to another station.

The time and place to recharge are significant issues, and worthy of consideration when you buy a vehicle.

When I had short-range EVs (an 80-mile Ford and a 60-mile Smart) I had to plan my daily driving around where I could plug in. Most days it was a non-issue because I plugged in at work and the car was ready to roll at the end of the day. The Smart EV was especially painfully slow; it would take 8 hours to completely charge, even at 208VAC. I got "stuck at work" if I had to drive to a customer site during the day.

My Tesla Model 3 is the "Long Range" model that will go 310 miles on a full battery. A Tesla Supercharger will fill that battery from empty to 80% in under an hour, while an ordinary charger would take 8 hours or more.

That's not so good for cannonball runs or Spring Break roadtrips, but it's not impossible to plan a road trip around a meal stop at a Supercharger every few hundred miles. Especially when that charge costs the same as two or three gallons of gas !

Charging companies, including Tesla, charge by the kilowatt-hour in most states (it's a regulatory issue). I pay $0.25 per kWh for Supercharging, and about $0.10 per kWh to charge at 208V at the office.

Our company subsidizes the EV chargers. My daily commute uses about 80 cents of electricity, so I get an 80 cent bonus every day. As my nephew put it: "Baller !". I plug in two or three times a week. I have friends who own houses and garages, and they charge overnight at the lowest rates, so they spend even less and the "tank is full" every morning.

I still go to gas stations, but it's when I need beer and tortilla chips.

if I needed a top off charge, all charge stations are in use and I had to wait a couple hours for someone to scoot.

Yeah, that sucks. I've had it happen, generally at grocery stores where the chargers (Blink or ChargePoint) have been vandalized so there's only one available.

One cool feature of the Tesla navigation system is that it queries the Supercharger you're headed to and tells you how many of the stalls are in use. Some of the other public charging systems will also tell you if a particular charger is in use; the SemaConnect and ChargePoint systems are particularly good at that.

Tesla has three "urban Superchargers" planned for 2018 in my city; one north of the UW campus, another at the Northgate shopping mall, and one downtown.

There are certainly drawbacks to driving an electric powertrain. But EV developers and public policy are improving the infrastructure and the vehicles.

Not automotive, but I was surprised to read about this all-electric, battery powered car ferry:

http://corvusenergy.com/tag/mf-ampere/

I wonder how much of that technology is directly applicable to the auto industry?

I have also been wondering why we aren't seeing lithium-ion replacements for the standard lead-acid car battery. They would probably only need to be half the size and weight. Not enough cold cranking amps, maybe?

I will believe in the environmental mission of electric cars only when I see a number of new nuclear power plants popping out around the country - in low-population or desert areas preferably - and interconnected in a robust electric grid.

Switching the rail locomotion to electric power should be an added bonus. At any rate, this is more real, way better developed and more plausible than wind and sun power, at least for the foreseeable future.

Not automotive, but I was surprised to read about this all-electric, battery powered car ferry:

http://corvusenergy.com/tag/mf-ampere/

I wonder how much of that technology is directly applicable to the auto industry?

I have also been wondering why we aren't seeing lithium-ion replacements for the standard lead-acid car battery. They would probably only need to be half the size and weight. Not enough cold cranking amps, maybe?

Cost and safety are an issue. Lithium is incredibly unstable as an element. Currently, the plates sit on a carbon frame network to prevent small tree like structures from shorting the plates. Another point of note is that the electrolyte is very combustible.

Now, when the plates are shorted, there is a runaway overheating effect that that causes a big boom. Because of this, you can't simply replace a lead acid battery in an old vehicle. It is too dangerous.

That being said, there is a new material being tested that acts as both an insulator and the electrolyte. The batteries made with this can be punctured and still function. It is pretty cool. It's a ways off from being commercially viable though.

i have been discussing Tesla on a finance focused forum for a while. One of the guy there is a total Tesla fan and the discussion turns cringe worthy at times. Every legit criticism is countered as personal attack, which is sadly familiar thread in today's world.

There are stuff that's done and said that would sink other CEO in a heartbeat but it's given a pass time and time again. Eventually reality always catches up, always. I do see Tesla survives, but without it's current leader.

I think Elon failed at calling someone a pedo... however, the diver was quite rude telling him to shove it where it hurts.

I get it... Elon going over there distracted people or brought about confusion that wasn't needed for the operation and it stank of a PR exercise for him.

However, had he gone ahead with his human sized Cuban Cigar canister, sent it over and basically stood back, he would have gotten plenty of karma points.

Hell, even doing all he did and answering to that guy's comment with something like "Glad the kids are out safely without a need for the submarine. Well done you guys!" would have netted him good grace from everyone.

Instead he did that...