Smart/Ethernet Contactors

QasimFSH

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any device available such as Ethernet contactors-what I essentially want to do is open/close the contactor (or even relay will be okay), according to the command from PLC. I have got several contactors/relays, and if I am using one PLC for them, wiring all of the relays/contactors will be less ideal than using Ethernet communication.

Thnaks

Siemens has motor starters that fit in its et200sp(ip20) or et200pro(ip65) io families for Profibus or Profinet. They even have fail safe versions, if needed.

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industr...net/et-200sp/pages/motorstarter-et-200sp.aspx

I doubt you'll find too many relay/contactor/motor starter that individually support Ethernet; an Ethernet port is very expensive in terms of a basic device. You're more likely to find something like IO Link.

I've seen a system with Moeller/Eaton contactors using ASi comm's modules.

This can be integrated to pretty much any PLC easy enough using an ifm ASi to Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP or PROFINET gateway.

The contactor alone is kind of a waste for direct Ethernet on-off control. But there are STARTERS that offer it, because having Ethernet on the OL relay is of value in an automation system. So you can find that now from most of the major suppliers, but you don't need to actually USE the "overload" functionality if you don't want to. You will however need to "pick your poison" as to what Ethernet protocol you are planning on using.

1. Rockwell / Allen Bradley has a simple low-cost option that can be added to the side of their E1 Solid Stater OL (SSOL) relays that will talk Ethernet I/P, as well as the more advanced E300 OL relay. The E1 + the Ethernet "side car" is probably the lowest cost option out there.
  2. Siemens has a SSOL called a Simocode with a ProfiNet interface (ProfiNet is Siemens' version of industrial Ethernet protocol).
  3. Eaton has the C441 SSOL that can be ordered with Ethernet I/P protocol
  4. Schneider / Square D has The TeSys-T SSOL that has Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet protocol
  5. ABB has the UMC100.3 that can accept Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet or ProfiNet protocols.
There may be others.

The contactor alone is kind of a waste for direct Ethernet on-off control. But there are STARTERS that offer it, because having Ethernet on the OL relay is of value in an automation system. So you can find that now from most of the major suppliers, but you don't need to actually USE the "overload" functionality if you don't want to. You will however need to "pick your poison" as to what Ethernet protocol you are planning on using.

1. Rockwell / Allen Bradley has a simple low-cost option that can be added to the side of their E1 Solid Stater OL (SSOL) relays that will talk Ethernet I/P, as well as the more advanced E300 OL relay. The E1 + the Ethernet "side car" is probably the lowest cost option out there.
  2. Siemens has a SSOL called a Simocode with a ProfiNet interface (ProfiNet is Siemens' version of industrial Ethernet protocol).
  3. Eaton has the C441 SSOL that can be ordered with Ethernet I/P protocol
  4. Schneider / Square D has The TeSys-T SSOL that has Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet protocol
  5. ABB has the UMC100.3 that can accept Modbus TCP/IP Ethernet or ProfiNet protocols.
There may be others.

Thanks a ton!

Siemens also has ET200SP (one Profinet IM for many I/O and/or motor starters).
You can go up to 5.5 kW, direct or reversing, and without or with safety.

Just be aware that any of these solutions will be much more expensive than a traditional motor starter combination. At least double up.