1756 hsc encoder problem

larry austin

Hello
OK what i have is a prince diecast machine with 4 encoders on the tie bars to measure the tie bar strech that give me the tonage of the tiebar the plc is control logix5000 with 2 1756 high speed counter cards reading the encoder counts
The problem im having is the counts are not the same all the
time and on the ladder program the raw count is changeing even though the indictor lights on card is not in turn my tonage is all over the place
I have changed power supply checked all conections 2 new
cards still same results and tried differt encodes and played with roll over counts still same problem any clues o_O

It sounds like you are getting interference from somewhere. Are the cables run right next to a high voltage cable? Is the shield possibly missing or maybe terminated at both ends instead of one? There are also some filter settings in the hsc configuration.

Is the shield possibly missing or maybe terminated at both ends instead of one? There are also some filter settings in the hsc configuration.[/quote]

It is terminated at both ends it has always been do you
think both ends being terminated could be promblem it has been like that for 7 years with no problem just wondering this is my first go around with a 1756 hsc thanks for input look forward for answer

Last edited:
You will have to check the manufactures recommendations for your encoder. I know a lot of my devices are only shielded at one end which is generally at the processor. You may also want to look at the manual for the hsc and make sure your wiring matches their specs.
I will try to look into a little more tomorrow at work.