Redundant System Configuration Questions

sopenco

I'm working on my first redundant system, and I'm having some difficulties in getting everything up and running, synced and communicating. Here is the setup of the system:

There are three racks. On each of the first two, there is a 1756-L72 processor, an EN2TR network module and an RM redundancy module.

On the third rack, there is another EN2TR module and all of the various IO modules.

The problem I'm having is that in RSLogix 5000 when I connect up to the primary CPU, I'm seeing the notorious exclamation marks on the EN2TR's on racks #2 and #3, as well as the devices on each of these racks, albeit there are no major or minor faults. The primary PLC (of course) cannot read or control the IO modules and the CPU's are out of sync.

My first question: is this a viable setup?

My second question: what do I need to do to make it work, assuming this configuration IS in fact viable.

I've been looking through Rockwell manuals for redundancy as well as the EN2TR, and as of yet cannot find guidance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Redundancy is sort of the "the deep end of the pool", but the RA system is super easy to set up and get running.

Have you read through the Redundancy manual? I would assume so since you have hardware already. (I am not sure I/O over Ethernet is supported? it did not used to be. READ MANUAL verify)

Step #1 Flash ALL Redundancy, Controllers, and Comm. Modules with Redundancy Firmware.
Step #2 Set all addresses per the manual. I am not going to describe it, but there is a method of addressing that is used to enable redundancy.
Step #3 Download a program with redundancy enabled in the controller properties.

If you have all of these things accomplished and still have issues post again with SPECIFIC questions. You will be surprised how easy it comes on line if you just follow the manual step by step.

(it has been several years since I commissioned a redundant system)

RSL

Thank you, RSL! I really needed someone to point me to the specific areas needing addressed, which is exactly what your response did - I can find the specifics in the manual. I've read through it, but unfortunately Rockwell manuals were written for people a whole lot smarter than myself; most of them read like Greek to me. :)

I didn't see anything on my initial read-through about redundancy-specific firmware, but that's certainly something I missed! Thanks again - much appreciated!!

Thanks, dmargineau! That's something I DID actually find in the manual, and I have that piece configured correctly. (For all I know, that may be the only part...)

If you did not download a "redundancy firmware bundle" and flash everything with it, that is problem #1. Every single Controller, Comm. Module, and the Synch. modules must use special firmware. Your firmware rev. should be something like revision xx.5x. Redundancy firmware is always a minor rev. .5x

Do this before you continue on. The system cannot work without proper firmware.

RSL

I know you have your hands full...:D

Follow the Appendix F Checklist of the link I have previously posted and ensure all requirements have been followed.

RSL: I'm just finishing the 20.054_kit1 download now. It'll be a couple of hours before I can TeamViewer back into the system to proceed, but this will be the first thing I do.

dmargineau: I'm looking at that checklist now - I wish I had seen it sooner! That's going to help a lot.

Thank you both for your help on this! I hope it wasn't too elementary of a problem for you folks...

A problem is a problem :)

My main goal for posting was to make sure you knew that all of the answers you need are published and that you can "win".

RSL

I knew they were likely published - I was just struggling to find them within the controller manuals, the redundancy module manuals, the general redundancy manuals, the enhanced redundancy manuals, the ethernet module manuals, and so on. I write programs in less time than it usually takes me to find what I'm looking for in the Rockwell library. :-D that being said, I'm grateful they do such an excellent job of providing documentation (it's just a little above my level of technical fluency!)

Amen to that!! I'm into the enhanced now and studying the Appendix F as dmargineau had indicated. I'm hoping to find something that will at least tell me for starters whether or not the IO setup is viable. I've never seen a setup using the EN2TR alone on a rack with IO modules... I hope that will work!

I skimmed over it real quick, it looks like as of version 19.5x and above I/O over Ethernet IS supported.

I think you will be good to go once you get it all configured.

RSL

Excellent! I'd hate to tell these guys their setup wasn't kosher. I'm looking for the RMCT on the Rockwell site now, and after I find that, I SHOULD be good to go. I can't thank you enough...