Modicon Premium - RS485 PCMCIA card

tidwellc87

I'm working on a project and have found myself in a situation where I need to use a PCMCIA card (I think a TSX SCP 114) to read modbus registers via RS485 from a VFD. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm tinkering around in Unity but I'm having a real hard time finding any documentation on it and I'm really not sure where to start. Any help appreciated!

I need the Premium PLC to read live values from the VFD such as KW, Volts, and Amperage, to be used in calculations for control of the VFD speed. It seems like Minimal Modbus would be more for setting parameters or reading registers via a laptop?

Ooooh sorry, I misunderstood your original post. You mentioned the PCMCIA card so I made the incorrect assumption that you were trying to do this from a laptop. My bad...

No worries!

I can add the PCMCIA card in Unity but I've never done anything like this before so I really have no idea what needs to be done to configure it and what blocks to use to read remote registers. The Unity manual has a little information on how to read values in the card itself, but nothing regarding communicating with remote equipment.

Well for most Rs485 readings you will have to use the Read_var function block. I might be called something else for the Premium. But in the unity help file search for read_var.

Just a side note...the Premium is obsolete and you will have to change it to a newer plc very soon

Chud is correct, you will need to use the read_var.
The syntax is similar to PL7 Pro if you have ever done modbus in that.