GE Versamax CPUE05 with C-More or Magellis HMI

RaptorX303

Hi

I have an upcoming project that I am required to use a GE Versamax CPUe05 PLC and am trying to decide what HMI to use. I have no experience with the GE platform (software or hardware) and I am taking the PLC programming course later this month but am unable to take the HMI course, so I'd like to use something I know (C-More or Magellis)

Has anyone ever used either of these HMIs with this PLC? From what I was told the PLC supports the SRTP protocol and the ModbusRTU protocol. Both of the HMIs support ModbusRTU, but I am wondering how difficult it is to program the PLC to make it work.

The C-More also supports the GE SNPX protocol, can the CPUE05 use that?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

The CPUE05 supports SNPX and Modbus RTU through the serial ports and SRTP and Modbus TCP through the Ethernet port. The protocol used on each serial port is established by hardware configuration. The Ethernet port is SRTP by default. You will need ladder logic to configure it for Modbus TCP. Modbus implementation is limited to four data types, %I addresses correspond to Modbus 1xxx, %Q addresses correspond to Modbus 0xxx, %AI addresses correspond to Modbus 3xxx, and %R addresses correspond to Modbus 4xxx. %M addresses in the PLC are not directly accessible via Modbus. If you need to display them in the HMI, you will need to copy them to unused %Q addresses.

Unless things have changed since the last time I used a C-More with a GE PLC (a few years), the C-More only supports serial (SNPX) communications with GE PLCs and not Ethernet (SRTP). I have no experience with Magellis

If you are comfortable with C-More and Magellis along with a GE PLC class you would have no trouble picking up the GE QuickPanel+ programming for the HMI.
Play with the software a bit at class in the evening and ask your instructor for a few tips. You will not be disappointed.

Besides it's always good to add something new to your resume. ;-)

Thanks Steve

You've given me more info than my vendor, he said it can only use SRTP and RTU.

Do you know of any documentation that I can read on how to configure the Versamax for Modbus TCP? The manual that I have for the CPUe05 (from 2015) doesn't have any mention of Modbus TCP.

The CPUE05 supports SNPX and Modbus RTU through the serial ports and SRTP and Modbus TCP through the Ethernet port. The protocol used on each serial port is established by hardware configuration. The Ethernet port is SRTP by default. You will need ladder logic to configure it for Modbus TCP. Modbus implementation is limited to four data types, %I addresses correspond to Modbus 1xxx, %Q addresses correspond to Modbus 0xxx, %AI addresses correspond to Modbus 3xxx, and %R addresses correspond to Modbus 4xxx. %M addresses in the PLC are not directly accessible via Modbus. If you need to display them in the HMI, you will need to copy them to unused %Q addresses.

Unless things have changed since the last time I used a C-More with a GE PLC (a few years), the C-More only supports serial (SNPX) communications with GE PLCs and not Ethernet (SRTP). I have no experience with Magellis
Steve.

How to configure Modbus TCP on CPUe05?