Kinetix 6500 Servo Application Question

smakdown61

I'm fairly new to dealing with servo motion but I have a fairly simple application I was hoping to get some feedback on. I've got a large load I need to lift/lower at very slow speeds using two servo motors attached to each end (see attached diagram). The mechanical gearing on each side identical and each side will have its own linear encoder to measure the height position.

I'm aware I need to sync the two axis's so the load does rack back and forth but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. It looks like I possibly could use a simple MAG and set them up as master/slave with a 1:1 ratio. Or I could set up a virtual master and use an MAG for each servo as slaves.

I'm using RSlogix v19.01, and Kinetix 6500 drives over ethernet. Any thoughts?

I am doing a similar motion system but with 4 motors and encoder feed back on the gearbox. The system is in place but with outdated IMC controllers that are not manufactured anymore. I plan on using MAPC on all drives to a virtual axis, 1:1 position scheme so I would only use one set of commands. I then have backup code to individually move the drives with MCD as following correction. I have not been able to test this as it is a live system and I get a few hours on the weekend to rewire try some code and wire it back before production resumes. From what I read gearing or camming to a virtual axis is supposed to be "better" as you don't have feedback noise driving the other motor. So try some configs out and let us know.