Advanced HMI

pr_wainwright

Hi,
I am new to Allen Bradley & have found Advanced HMI on the internet. The quick start example uses 'non tag' memory addressing e.g. N7:0 In my PLC I have arrays etc that I would like to use with Advanced HMI to read/write values. How do I address an array like ALARMS_TODAY [INT128]

e.g. ALARMS_TODAY[0] ???

Thanks
Paul.

pr- today was the first that I have looked at this software and just briefly at a couple of the quick start videos. If you do not find that tag based addressing has been added yet, you can make the RSLogix5000 software behave like the non-tag memory format that the videos show:

Simply go to the Logic Tab> Click Map PLC/SLC Messages> Then enter File Number and Tag Name in the PLC 3,5/ SLC Mapping Box. Click on the Help if you have trouble with the formatting.

In order to use the ControlLogix/CompactLogix (Tag based), the first thing is to add the EthernetIPforCLX driver to the form.

From there, add the visual controls and use the tags names as you would in your PLC program:

PLCAddressValue property would be set to ALARMS_TODAY[0]

Archie- that's very good info to know. In your opinion, what is the best low cost Touch Panel PC to run Advanced HMI that would also be rugged enough to withstand a manufacturing environment?

Thanks.

fwiw, I like Hope Industrial's various NEMA rated industrial touch screen displays. They require separate computers to drive them. I like using Wyse thin clients. Solid state drives really help in rough environments. Industrial Image also makes nice units with or without PCs.

In your opinion, what is the best low cost Touch Panel PC to run Advanced HMI that would also be rugged enough to withstand a manufacturing environment?
For panel mount PCs, I have used quite a few of the ones from www.ivcdisplays.com with XP Embedded. They have proven to be reliable and I have yet find a better price. I have recently installed one of the new NP-8150A with a hard drive and Windows 7. It was a surprisingly responsive unit.

Thanks Archie.

This got me thinking about possible ControlLogix applications with motion specifically the latest Ethernet/IP CIP protocol. I'm wondering if Rockwell will come out w/ a SoftLogix controller for this that would allow you to use the standard Ethernet port or will there be some multi-thousand dollar PCI card that you'll have to buy. For standard Ethernet IP they allow you to use your Ethernet port. Then you could have your full processor/motion controller along with the Advanced HMI all in one with just the price of the Touch Screen PC and the SoftLogix.

Anyone know what the approx. price is for the Sercos version- SoftLogix5800? Never built a system this way, but it does make one think.

This got me thinking about possible ControlLogix applications with motion specifically the latest Ethernet/IP CIP protocol. I'm wondering if Rockwell will come out w/ a SoftLogix controller for this that would allow you to use the standard Ethernet port or will there be some multi-thousand dollar PCI card that you'll have to buy. For standard Ethernet IP they allow you to use your Ethernet port. Then you could have your full processor/motion controller along with the Advanced HMI all in one with just the price of the Touch Screen PC and the SoftLogix.
You pretty much described what Beckhoff TwinCAT allows you to do for only a few thousand dollars. They even recently anounced a card that goes into the IO rack that allows you to wire a servo motor directly into the card without the need for an amplifier.

Archie,
I have inherited my first Allen Bradley project recently & had to learn how to use RSView32. I have been programming in C# & Delphi for many years so I found RViews32's VBA support a bit restrictive.

I will start learning VB.NET next week & move over to Advanced HMI where I can do some more complex programming.

Great product!

Thanks
Paul.

I have been programming in C# & Delphi for many years so I found RViews32's VBA support a bit restrictive.

I will start learning VB.NET next week & move over to Advanced HMI where I can do some more complex programming.
I couldn't agree more. Once you get used to the tools available in .NET, VBA is a horrible language to try to do things in.

You pretty much described what Beckhoff TwinCAT allows you to do for only a few thousand dollars. They even recently anounced a card that goes into the IO rack that allows you to wire a servo motor directly into the card without the need for an amplifier.

Archie- Very interesting information. We have a couple of installs of the TwinCAT platform here but the communication platform is Profibus and it's almost entirely written in STL. Not the most conducive setup for the maintenance techs to support. Maybe platforms like this will help make AB stop trying to sell you 5 things when others do it with 2.

using EthernetIPforCLXComm1

EthernetIPforCLXComm1.WriteData(address, value) can i straight use this in my vb application. i have added ethernetipforclxxomm into my application. i am trying to write in plc register with out useing any controls. program gets built correctly but it doesn't write to the plc register. please help.

Hi Guys, im new in the fórum and in the .NET world, i need to connect the advanced HMI program with a CompactLogix L32E over ethernet, i have try both Ethernet drivers in the program and still cannot conect it, can somebody tell me what am i doing wrong or the steps to follow?, i have done as it says in the quick start

Many Thanks