Modicon Quantum with AB Ethernet/IP I/O

Hi,
I have a project where the customer has already installed Flex I/O with an old SLC 500 PLC. The customer is asking us to upgrade him to Modicon PLC's but keep the distributed I/O.
I see that quantum has Ethernet/IP Ethernet heads available. Has anyone ever mixed AB I/O with a Quantum PLC? Are there any drawbacks or pit falls?

Any information is appreciated

We do this all the time - the only issues we ran across were some specific modules on some of the Rockwell IO platforms require very specific configuration information - from memory, some of the serial port slice-modules. These are quite difficult work with due to the lack of information. I believe I was able to get them going from information in the Rockwell knowledge base, but it still wasn't fun. But all the other stuff - digital, analog, drives, has always been more or less fine.

One point, though - SLC500 series do not support class 1 EtherNet/IP IO communications, so not sure what the Flex devices you have will support as far as EIP. The Schneider devices will do Class 1 as well as explicit messaging, but I find the class 1 FAR easier to setup and manage. If they have EtherNet/IP devices now, are they using explicit messaging to the assembly instances? It's possible to do this, but not what is intended. So a changeout to a PLC platform that can do IO messaging might seem like a dream compared to the work required to manage explicit messages.

Which platform of Schneider are you planning on going to? The new M580 looks great, just waiting to be able to get one in the shop to try it.

I know this is an old thread BUT... this is exactly what we are trying to accomplish (Quantum PLC with AB distributed I/O via EtherNet/IP).

Did you have any success?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, you can do it. The only problem I ran into was for time stamping. It is not possible to time stamp to 1 ms SOE on the digital input card. For that you need to stay with X80 BMX ERT modules.

Hello,

I have an M580 and remote Flex IO racks. I have downloaded some EDS files from Rockwell and have been able to add them into the DTM Browser. Has anyone had success connecting to an AENTR with an M580? What intricacies did you come across? I am not able to connect currently and it looks like everything is configured correctly.

Thank you