PLC-5 Rack Analog Load

Wormfood

Wondering if there is a certain number of Analog/VHSC cards that can be placed into a PLC-5 14-slot and 17-slot racks before you start to put to much strain on the power supply for the rack. Or if this is even an issue with PLC-5 racks, I know that there is with Modicon Quantum racks and think this probably still holds true.

I've never worried about it with the big 1771-P7 power supplies, but I you could overload one of the smaller slot-mounted ones.

I'd have to get out the Installation Instructions for each module and start tallying up their loads.

For example, the 1771-IFE Analog Input modules draws 500 mA from the 5V bus, and the 1771-VHSC draws 650 mA.

Because the 1771-P7 can supply up to 16A, you can pretty much use any module mix you like.

The smaller 1771-P3 (3A) or 1771-P4/P5/P5E (8A) might not be able to handle a larger chassis full of higher-draw modules.