RSLinx on Windows 8 64-bit

....Maybe there is a valid reason why the restoration of the mer is impossible, but if so that reason has never been made public. .....

So because you have not been witness to a valid reason, you just throw out your own?

...It's too good of an excuse to strongarm their customers into buying the new terminals o_O

I hope that was just in frustration. They had a Genius Webinar talking about support of PanelView+ applications and mitigation strategies and such back in Feb or March. I would encourage you to check it out. Lots of good stuff was talked about. I'm always humored when people resort to: "Company A is just trying to screw me again" attitude.

Don't get me wrong, Rockwell jacks prices to get people to move to current platforms, and ultimately its the only way to keep things progressing because nobody likes change and the cost will make the decision easy for them. It's almost like watching those AT&T commercials with the kids at the table.

Rockwell does more than most companies do in supporting their older technology products. But there comes a time when a significant change is warranted. Watcom has been around since the 1990s. It can't handle 64 bit systems which have become the norm. At least there is a way to convert the systems to SQL Server instead of you redoing it from scratch.

So because you have not been witness to a valid reason, you just throw out your own?

Well, isn't that what people do in the absence of any other explanation?

I hope that was just in frustration. They had a Genius Webinar talking about support of PanelView+ applications and mitigation strategies and such back in Feb or March. I would encourage you to check it out. Lots of good stuff was talked about. I'm always humored when people resort to: "Company A is just trying to screw me again" attitude.

I've gone through the Webinar, and I agree, they have put a good amount of effort into mitigating the difficulties in dealing with the 32-bit to 64-bit conversion. So yes, they could have done less, maintaining the legacy hardware could be more of a hassle. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

The strongarm comment may have been unfair, but I don't think I'm unjustified in being frustrated when I have to support $2m worth of PV+ terminals that I can no longer flash to a higher firmware revision, and now have to open and maintain a second operating system just to make modifications to those terminals. Not to mention train 20-30 guys how to use VMware, so they can continue to use FTView Studio, which most of them were barely comfortable with in XP.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a Rockwell bash-fest, but I do stand by my comments and conclusions.

Your frustration is well founded and it is something all of us have to deal with to a lesser or greater degree.
However, legacy systems/components are what "legacy" stands for, products heading for obsolescence; I would not expect any automation manufacturer to carry support for any new OS until the end of time.
Virtualization is a solution which looks like is the answer for now; I am aware of Win98 and Win2K VMs happily running on Win8 64-bit Hosts and within a virtual environment, OS support is pretty much unnecessary.
Just to give you a ray of hope though...:ROFLMAO:...At the end of the month Win8.1 will be released for bussines use...It will provide "Dual Boot" user options; one for the "Tiles" and one for "Desktop"; the latter is pretty much a Win7 GUI and will not require "Touch" hardware.
I guess Microsoft freaked out when experiencing the massive sales drop caused by the "groundbreaking" Win8 release; that and the software "manufacturers"(including the big $$$ automation ones) reluctance to develop for a "gadget" OS might have brought the "Gates-less" giant to their senses...o_O