Wonderware Intouch Scripting - Keyboard Input

jme

I am looking for a way to capture keyboard input data and store it in a tag. Something like ‘MessageTag = System.In.NextLine();” From there I can parse the string and use part of it for a lookup. Using InTouch 10.1.301

I have a keystroking badge reader I’d like to use for logins. Here’s the first order idea:
- The reader inserts characters before the badge ID which call a key script.
- Take the remaining data from the input and store it in a tag
- Pull the ID number from the tag and use it as a parameter to a QuickFunction that looks up a username and password and returns those values
- Then set the $OperatorEntered = username & $PasswordEntered = password

Any thoughts on storing the ‘keyboard’ input in a tag or the overall agenda would be appreciated.

I use a lot of the RF Ideas units that do USB keyboard emulation.
I set the string to have a Control-F12 and Control-F11 keys as the preamble. Then in Wonderware I setup a Control-F12 key script to pop open a small window that's below the screen line. On that window the is a text entry field activated by the Control-F11. Then when that text entry field tag is <> "" it then clears the tag and then calls the quick function to login (if logged out) or logout (if logged in) that person.

The little popup screen is only seen for a split second at the bottom of the current screen.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Is there a built-in function for highlighting the entry field? I tried {TAB} etc. With no success.