Multimeter.....Daily carry.

I always unplug and coil mine up when I am not using them. Less likely to be pinched or otherwise damaged, or so I was told by the older electrician I learned from.

The older electrician was like you without the experience some time ago, ah the advantage of experience passed on. As silly as this basic example is, please pass to your journeyman 1 day hope much you appreciated his wisdom

Last edited:
l"m like Sparkie and just touch the live terminals, och, that's ON, were as others get electrocuted.
Which leads me to this Question, which most probable should be a thread in itself, How many posters are "spark's"?

KBIGNI, very sad to hear that, l still hope that you may wish you said that to him when you do what may have been important to you both, i.e have a drink (could be water even).

I don't like the Wiggy style testers. Had one blow up in my hand once.
I like the Fluke T+Pro (https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-t-plus-pro)
No batteries required for voltage testing plus basic ohms and GFCI test.

I will trust a Wiggy style meter any day of the week over a multi meter. Any type of meter can become defective but the pure simplicity of a Wiggy is its strength. Personally, I prefer the Knopp “wiggy”. It is Cat-III rated.

I have a Fluke 87V and use the SV225 stray voltage adapter to deal w/ghost voltages.

Many facilities have banned “wiggys” supposedly because of they put a load on devices. The SV225 has an internal resistance of about 3200 ohms. The Knopp’s resistance is about 3000 ohms, so I don’t see what the difference is.

B071F3B5-22E9-4566-8354-FB8C6151A5D7.jpeg E235D4EB-6A0E-440E-BBC3-A0D9D5661D0E.jpeg

Originally posted by dogleg34:

The SV225 has an internal resistance of about 3200 ohms. The Knopp’s resistance is about 3000 ohms, so I don’t see what the difference is.

The difference is there is nothing you can do with the Knopp's unit to increase the load resistance. If I remove the SV225 from the meter I am back to a high input impedance voltmeter that has little effect on the circuit I am measuring.

Keith

The difference is there is nothing you can do with the Knopp's unit to increase the load resistance. If I remove the SV225 from the meter I am back to a high input impedance voltmeter that has little effect on the circuit I am measuring.

Keith

I agree but then there’s the possibility of getting a false reading due to ghost voltage.

Many new meters include a Low Inexpedience mode for systems where ghost voltage may be an issue. For instance the Fluke 117 has a setting called Auto-V/LoZ which switches to approx 3k ohm resistance.

When it is in stock, this is a pretty good choice for a daily carry:
https://www.amazon.com/EEVblog-BM235-Brymen-Multimeter/dp/B01JZ1ADCO

I totally agree. I have its' sibling BM257s. It is going everywhere with me, love it. Compared to the typical yellow Fluke these are much less likely to be "loaned" while I am working at a client's factory. One of my colleagues is a Fluke fan, has had them for years. Occasionally he comes to borrow my little Brymen instead because he likes it so much. Practical size for travels, robust, UL rated, well constructed, great value for money. There are plenty online stories from people tearing them apart to check the construction.

Compared to the typical yellow Fluke these are much less likely to be "loaned" while I am working at a client's factory.

I stopped selling Fluke's for the most part, I use to buy and sell a lot of them but they were my number one part ripped off by chargebacks and fraudulent charges, must be the color yellow.