Monitoring a sensor. S7-1500

stangman2

Working on a go/nogo sensor. In Siemens S7-1500 in Portal14, which is not my strongest language.
The sensor looks at the part based on angle. The signal state during this time is what is recorded. The problem is I want to monitor the sensor to make sure its working. I want to check that the signal goes low after it goes high, and if it doesn't after x/ cycles then I will set a fault.
The programming and the fault monitoring is not a prob I was just curious if there was a good way to monitor the sensor function that Im missing

I'm not sure what sensor you are using, but you could always use an output of the PLC to remove power from the sensor and look for the signal to be off.

Just a thought.
Regards,

Maybe the camera can generate an "OK" signal.
You can also have some kind of test function, where you use and actuator to move an object into the cameras view and the signal muat activate and deactivate accordingly.

Well the problem is It is a replacement for another sensor, its something new we are trying. I don't think the camera has health check. Also I am limited to what is there as far as connections, so I need to do it in logic. I have a few ideas just looking for another point of view.

I would monitor both the ON and OFF state of the sensor for X amount of time ( depends on the part and convoyor speed) if it doesn't change the state when it should then there's something wrong with the sensor either faulty or misalligned

The prob with monitoring each state is I have to account for when the machine stops, and for when there are just no parts.

The solution I came up with is, I am using the sensor high(pass) to set a latch bit. The latch bit sets a timer so that if its latched for more that xSeconds it sets an alarm Then Low(fail) resets the timer. All of this is behind a machine run bit so that it only functions when the machine is running, and machine stop also resets the timer.

This should work (i think) im trying it and I will post updates. Also appreciate any insight someone might have on my solution.