Profibus DP ABB ACS355 on Foxboro IA (FBM 223)

dmargineau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Currently waiting for Schneider Customer Support...:D

... meanwhile:

Brand new ABB ACS355 with FPBA-01 Profibus DP adapter connected to a six node network 'mastered' by a FBM 223.

The drive is configured for speed control off 'External Comm. Module'.
P51.01= PROFIBUS DP
P51.02= x (unique on said network)
P51.03=1500 kbps (as the Master's Port Setting)
P51.04= 1 (DP-V0- PPO Type1)
P98.02= EXT FBA

The VFD is installed and networked; two solid green LEDs and one (Network) flashing green.
Fault 28 (Serial Port Error)...Probably not allocated by the 'Master'...

The new slave device was assigned to the FBM 223 port (ECB201 PARENT and PORTNO within the FBM ECB200).

The GSD was placed in the proper directory and the PB Slave Configurator tool created the corresponding .PSL and .PSF files.
The Configuration Data tab for said slave states PPO-01, 4 PKW + 2 PZD. and verifies.

Upon downloading the configuration file to the FBM (with the ECBs on-line) the respective node shows 'red-crossed' within the FoxView System Manager overview with the following Device Status attributes:
Profibus DP Device, DCI Ready, Device Failed, System Alarm.
The Device Diagnostic Status states:
Slave Not Ready, Configuration Parameter Fault, None, Slave Configuration Request, Slave Exists, None.

The Master Address is stated as '255' instead of 'y' as configured on the FBM and stated by the functional slaves.

I ran out of ideas...They say "...the configuration is wrong..."...Which configuration, the VFD or the Foxboro Slave is a mistery...

The ACS355 configuration is pretty straight-up and done it before plenty of times, albeit on more modern and user friendly platforms...

The Foxboro Slave setup carries the proper 'Telegram Type' and uses the manufacturer provided GSD. One cannot view the functional Foxboro Profibus Slave devices setup because...I dunno... Maybe the user is not allowed to do so by design?

Anyway...Ken M. are you there?...Have any ideas?... Schneider Support does not yet/so far...

Anticipately thanks to whomever could enlighten us on this 'trivial' matter...:D

Hi Dan,

Good Luck!

Have you tried resetting the FBM in Device manager. Sometimes that's all it takes. Oflline/online transition.

Its been a while since using Foxboro. Any other devices on the bus?

Check with the foxboro forum user group people. They are pretty helpful.

Last edited:
A network layout diagram would help.

Make sure your Profibus network or segment(s) are in straight-line Daisy chain fashion, and not in a split or star method.

Check the Profibus connector for correct wiring and that the terminals are secure. If the VFD became the last node in the Profibus network, make sure the termination is on, and the previous station has termination off.

Double-check the Profibus address on the drive and in the Master configuration (make sure one or the other expecting decimal and not maybe HEX).

There were six functional nodes on said network...

A link had been opened ballpark in the middle of the purple daisy-chain and the new drive inserted within.

Everything else remained functional after modifying the daisy-chain; the new ABB drive is 'reading' the master configured comms rate with a green flashing Network LED.

I believe the issue is the Master which doesn't want to allocate the new slave.

Have not played around with a Foxboro IA system in a decade or so. I never did a Profibus interface, so, sorry can't help. Have you compared this device with others that are working, have you tried the simple stuff, cable terminations, resistors on/off at the right points.

Thanks Ken.

I am pretty sure the physical network is fine.

There are some thirty Profibus devices spread over four FBM 223s. We cannot "see" any of the settings of their .PSL (Profibus Slave) configuration files. They are there and they're functional.

The only .PSL file we could "see" the configuration of is, of course, the 'bad' one...The device we are trying to get going...

No Ken... It's gibberish...

They have a dedicated tool which (supposedly) opens up the PSLs. It does open up the new file, which, obviously, it is not configured 'right'.

It seems that once a PSL file and its PSF (unknown by Windows type) pair are 'properly' configured and successfuly downloaded/allocated to/by the Master FBM they are not user accessible anymore...

Bummer...

Silly question, is the Profibus adapter on the VFD seated properly? I've had hours of troubleshooting an intermittent problem with a Siemens Profibus network, because one drive in a terribly remote part of the plant had its Profibus module (no, not its connector... module!) dislodged, but not completely. The story is: the drive was mounted on a wall not in a panel near an exit door, and a person going through the door could bump the Profibus connector and module, and sure enough, it happened.

I've also had a client who didn't install a module properly, and it got a bent pin on the connection point between the Profibus module and the drive.

This type of issue would allow the rest of the Profibus network to function, except the device in question.

Sorry it's not Foxboro specific help, but I find sometimes it's good to get ideas at the "lower level" (Profibus-level).

Last edited:
Another thing is to make sure the Profibus cable shield is making proper contact with the Profibus connector or terminals. I've had this affect communications with the Profibus device in question, yet not the rest of the network.

Update...

Four weeks later, third level Foxboro Tech Support sent us a renamed .gsd file and a 34 byte hex setup for the Foxboro Profibus Slave Configuration utility.

Deleted the old 'slave' file, created a new one based on the 'doctored' .gsd, entered 34 hexadecimal values within the User Data configuration and then downloaded it to the FBM. It was taken by the Master as such and the slave was successfully allocated to the bus scanlist.

Don't ask me what I've entered within the successful slave setup; apparently 34 hex form numbers...

Easy, peasy...All good to go...:D