Help selecting PLC/HMI for mobile datalogging

rjk_cmh

Hello plctalk, new guy here. I have an application that I'd like to present for your considered opinions so I can figure out what hardware I should use.

I need to begin by logging data from half a dozen analog sensors, and transmit this data for remote monitoring over a cell or wifi connection out in the field. This setup is going to be mounted exposed outdoors on a trailer, so I need an outdoor-rated HMI to view the current data and trends, and it needs to withstand extreme vibration, significant abrasive dust, and harsh outdoor conditions.

In the near future, I need to be able to expand the system to start performing some control functions as well, basic stuff like turning solenoids on/off based on the sensors, and possibly controlling a stepper motor on a valve. Including indicators, the max I/O I think would be a dozen current or voltage inputs, half a dozen temperature sensors (not sure what type yet), half a dozen digital inputs, and about 20 digital outputs (mix of relay and solid state).

The requirement for an outdoor-rated HMI has narrowed down the choices available to me, and I've been basically looking at the following units:
  • Red Lion Graphite G07S0000 (7")
  • Schneider Pro-Face PFXSP5490WAD (7")
  • Seimens Comfort Outdoor TP700 (7")
  • EZAutomation EZSunlight EZ3-T6C-E-SUN (6")
I briefly looked at the Beijer X2 Extreme stuff, but the software seems to be something I want to avoid. I want software that is easy and preferably free.

As for the PLCs, obviously the Graphite series has the option of adding modules to it, whether on the back or in a USB-connected backplane. I like the Automation Direct PLCs, but I'm spoiled for choice and I'm not sure what fits the application best. I don't have any experience with other brands, so let me know what you think fits best. I think even if I do get an outdoor-rated screen, I'm going to fabricate a hinged metal cover for the screen to protect it from the sun and flying objects.

Another route you an take is a panel mount PC that can handle the environment and run AdvancedHMI free software. Do a search here at this board, it is very much liked here.

Another route you an take is a panel mount PC that can handle the environment and run AdvancedHMI free software. Do a search here at this board, it is very much liked here.
It's an interesting concept that I had not thought of before. I'm concerned that having a Windows computer inside my machines is not the best idea for various reasons, like the fact that it is network-connected and therefore a security risk, and updates could eat my network bandwidth especially if I need to implement satellite connections for this data.

Much greater will be the security risk if you connect to the plant through the internet without using a secure encrypted connection.

In your approach you have to define what secure connection you are going to use:
VPN? OPC UA? ...

Much greater will be the security risk if you connect to the plant through the internet without using a secure encrypted connection.

In your approach you have to define what secure connection you are going to use:
VPN? OPC UA? ...
As an IT nerd just breaking into the world of industrial computing and automation, I think I have a reasonable handle on the networking and security aspects of the project, but I mainly need to figure out the hardware side. I actually like the look of the StrideLinx service/products, so that I don't have to stand up my own database and web services for dashboards and such.

Not sure if this would suit you, but figured I would at least tell you. Heat is the main concern.

A Raspberry Pi running Open PLC can be programmed with a free version of CodeSys.
Some Wago or like remote IO using Modbus or EthernetIP to bring in your IO.
For sending data up to a web service or database, I would run NodeRed to gather the data and send. Also free with dashboard visualization capabilities.

The HMI could be a small touchscreen with HDMI input.

I don’t think the Raspberry Pi would be happy in the environment but it would allow you the greatest flexibility.

Once you have it setup and working on a bench, you can remove the sdcard from the Raspberry Pi and make an image of it to save to your PC. Once you need to deploy more, just write the saved image to a new sdcard and stick in your RPi and done.

Probably not the most robust setup as far as withstanding the environment but it will do everything for the least amount of coin.

Not sure if this would suit you, but figured I would at least tell you. Heat is the main concern.

A Raspberry Pi running Open PLC can be programmed with a free version of CodeSys.
Some Wago or like remote IO using Modbus or EthernetIP to bring in your IO.
For sending data up to a web service or database, I would run NodeRed to gather the data and send. Also free with dashboard visualization capabilities.

The HMI could be a small touchscreen with HDMI input.

I don’t think the Raspberry Pi would be happy in the environment but it would allow you the greatest flexibility.

Once you have it setup and working on a bench, you can remove the sdcard from the Raspberry Pi and make an image of it to save to your PC. Once you need to deploy more, just write the saved image to a new sdcard and stick in your RPi and done.

Probably not the most robust setup as far as withstanding the environment but it will do everything for the least amount of coin.
Thanks for the input and tips on additional software options, I will have a look. This project has an unlimited budget at this point, and the environmental considerations are first and foremost as far as the spec goes. It is truly a harsh application, and may even be expanded in the future to hazardous location rating.

This is exactly what I do in the remote oilfields. Heres what I use, been over 5 yrs and no problems.

With 100's in the field.

Micro800 series PLC, Maple Systems HMI, (They provide Datalogging, Trends, and MQTT) This data can be pulled back with FTP. I am converting all our remote units to use MQTT and publish this data back to our Ignition Scada Server.

Multitech cellular modems (However we do have our own "Cellular Private Network" that we have with Verizon) and I must say if you're going to have very many units in the field you really need to check into that option.

You will be able to login to each remote unit from a smartphone, or any internet connected device, view and or control these devices in REAL-TIME.

The private network allows for re-programming any device connected and have the firmware updated, program changes, additions, Etc., all from your office. You won't have to make very many service calls!

You really need to think this through and try to have all your needed functions layed out before you start putting a project like this together.

o_O
This is exactly what I do in the remote oilfields. Heres what I use, been over 5 yrs and no problems.

With 100's in the field.

Micro800 series PLC, Maple Systems HMI, (They provide Datalogging, Trends, and MQTT) This data can be pulled back with FTP. I am converting all our remote units to use MQTT and publish this data back to our Ignition Scada Server.

Multitech cellular modems (However we do have our own "Cellular Private Network" that we have with Verizon) and I must say if you're going to have very many units in the field you really need to check into that option.

You will be able to login to each remote unit from a smartphone, or any internet connected device, view and or control these devices in REAL-TIME.

The private network allows for re-programming any device connected and have the firmware updated, program changes, additions, Etc., all from your office. You won't have to make very many service calls!

You really need to think this through and try to have all your needed functions layed out before you start putting a project like this together.
Excellent info, thanks for your input. We are designing this right now from the ground up, and this is certainly our opportunity to get the foundation solidly figured out. I will look into the things that you mentioned.

If it were me, I would use the Graphite screen with a Crimson Control module, and add Graphite rack (USB) or E3 I/O (Ethernet) modules as the I/O capabilities grow. The product line is expanding and the capabilities of Crimson 3.1 are close to the leading edge of main-line automation vendors with regard to cloud connections.

I would also recommend taking a second look at the Beijer X2 Extreme product. They don't get those hazardous and marine certifications just because they're pretty. I see them on competitors systems in places where I would want the best reliability (workboats, especially).

If you're just stepping into industrial automation and you aren't going to get into one of the major vendors (Rockwell, Siemens) then CoDeSys is as close to a universal platform as you will find. If you need a consultant or service person, one who knows Beckhoff/Turck/Wago/Schneider is going to be able to pick up your CoDeSys architecture pretty fast.