Door Up/Down

rblunt

I have a 6lb door that needs to go up and down at approximately 200mm/second. The door opens 400mm.
I've been looking at stepper motors, I really want something that is very simple, doesn't require a genius to troubleshoot at 3am. I have 480VAC, 120VAC, and 24VDC available.
The customer does not want pneumatic because he doesn't want the enclosure shaking or making a lot of noise when the door moves.
We have a light curtain being installed to so that the door can not move if operator is not clear.

we usually use Beckhoff, and I don't mind using a stepper, I'm just wondering if anybody had any other, or better ideas, or suggestions as far as a good company for steppers?

Just going off Automation Direct, its looking like around $1000 between motor and controller, seems like overkill but it seems to be only solution?

There are existing systems which you can buy for this exact purpose. Also, if you are going to do it yourself, I'd recommend just using a VFD (Ex: PowerFlex 525). Much easier to program & troubleshoot than a stepper.

There are existing systems which you can buy for this exact purpose. Also, if you are going to do it yourself, I'd recommend just using a VFD (Ex: PowerFlex 525). Much easier to program & troubleshoot than a stepper.
Existing system? can you make a suggestion.

Our preferred provided is Beckhoff, but I'll take a look with them for a VFD.

The pneumatic solution for me has advantages: simplicity, perfect cushioning at the ends, speed and force regulation, it can maintain a constant closing pressure ...
The noise can be greatly reduced with proper mounting, by conducting the exhausts to a discreet place and using quality silencers.

Who's the door manufacture? do they have something? I have worked on a lot of high speed doors but they were big and had a long travel, does your door have tracks teflon?

The pneumatic solution for me has advantages: simplicity, perfect cushioning at the ends, speed and force regulation, it can maintain a constant closing pressure ...
The noise can be greatly reduced with proper mounting, by conducting the exhausts to a discreet place and using quality silencers.

Pneumatic is the least used and the worst performing. They're mostly used in car washes though Ive seen them in car dealerships.

I have a 6lb door that needs to go up and down at approximately 200mm/second. The door opens 400mm.
I've been looking at stepper motors, I really want something that is very simple, doesn't require a genius to troubleshoot at 3am. I have 480VAC, 120VAC, and 24VDC available.
The customer does not want pneumatic because he doesn't want the enclosure shaking or making a lot of noise when the door moves.
We have a light curtain being installed to so that the door can not move if operator is not clear.

Is it a rolling or vertical lift? Balanced or unbalanced? Shaft driven? How many cycles/hour? Wet or dry environment? How wide is the door? How heavy is the door?

You have way too many door openers available on the market to make your own for one application. Other than controllers you will need to make something mechanical to move the door.

You have the standard openers made by liftmaster, manaras, micanan, lynx, dorlec. These are mostly low end openers.

Specialty pneumatic openers made by updward door corp in Milton, Ontario and there are a couple of manufacturers in the us.

Specialty hydraulic openers mad by gates and doors inc in Markham, Ontario.

And then there's ZAP openers which is the smallest and easiest to install. If your door is light or balanced that would be the perfect solution.

Based on the 6 lb wight and 400 mm travel I'm guessing your door is about 18" square??
I would suggest that you look into a pneumatic air over oil solution. Introducing oil reservoirs on both sides of the cylinder makes it much easier to control the speed with simple flow controls.

Is it a rolling or vertical lift? Balanced or unbalanced? Shaft driven? How many cycles/hour? Wet or dry environment? How wide is the door? How heavy is the door?

You have way too many door openers available on the market to make your own for one application. Other than controllers you will need to make something mechanical to move the door.

You have the standard openers made by liftmaster, manaras, micanan, lynx, dorlec. These are mostly low end openers.

Specialty pneumatic openers made by updward door corp in Milton, Ontario and there are a couple of manufacturers in the us.

Specialty hydraulic openers mad by gates and doors inc in Markham, Ontario.

And then there's ZAP openers which is the smallest and easiest to install. If your door is light or balanced that would be the perfect solution.

Vertical lift, door cycles every 45 seconds approximately, dry, little dusty, weighs approximately 6 pounds, Length: 1152.1440mm (45.360in),
Width: 933.450mm (36.750in)

Most of the stuff I've ran into seem to be for big doors, weld doors. This door is light weight metal.

Not allowed to do hydraulic or pneumatic.

We maybe be out to lunch on the speed, I'm just going by how I was instructed, the other versions we did were air and we did one that was manual, the manual one is like really nice ergonomic and no threat of it coming down and slamming the operators hand.

Last edited:
OK that's high cycle and most openers designed for that use are huge in size. I'm not sure ZAP would be suitable but Gate and Door have a direct drive (I'm still assuming your door is shaft drive)that may do the job. Give them a call and ask for a price.

I will also backtrack and say this may be unique enough a project that require custom approach.

I will call a couple of suppliers and see what they have to say.