fan speed control

HAROLD

I need to control the speed of a bank of ceiling fans (< 10 A ) with an analog signal (0 - 20 mA , 0 - 10 V or 0 - 5 V )does anyone know of an inexpensive device that I can use

I need to control the speed of a bank of ceiling fans (< 10 A ) with an analog signal (0 - 20 mA , 0 - 10 V or 0 - 5 V )does anyone know of an inexpensive device that I can use

Crystal ball broke
MORE DATA NEEDED
is that 10 amp each or total
Do they all have to run at (near) same speed
What is desired speed range?

My first thought is a VFD IF they are 3 phase.

Dan Bentler

does anyone know of an inexpensive device that I can use
We all have a different idea of expensive.
Is this an industrial application?
We just put all of out evacuation fans on vfd's and the power co. pretty much payed for them.
If it's like a home ceiling fans go to home depot and get some dimmer switches.

Actually I might know what you want.
At a previous job we controlled vibe bowls with a Solid State Variable Relay (analog to AC). I cant remember the brand we used. I will look. I know the name started with CY....

Last edited:
Just remember that if you use a VFD and the motors are not inverter rated it "can" cause issues with the motor.
We had non inverter rated mators for oven blowers on VFDs and it caused pitting in the bearings due to some type of arcing. Took the inverters out and run from a motor starter and the motor failure went away.

Crystal ball broke
MORE DATA NEEDED
is that 10 amp each or total
Do they all have to run at (near) same speed
What is desired speed range?

My first thought is a VFD IF they are 3 phase.

Dan Bentler

there exists only one BANK of fans at < 10A for the bank
all fans are 120VAC wired in parallel
desired speed range is (stall speed plus a little) to full speed with 120V applied