RSLOGIX 500 Binary data file for processor 1747-L511

david90

Why is it that the Binary data file has only 16 available 1-bit memory points? Is this a characteristic of the 1747-L511 processor or do I need to do something to add more 1-bit memory location to the binary file?

And also, there is only 1 timer (t4:0) in the timer file. Is this also a characteristic of the 1747-L511 processor?

thanks

In the RSLogix 500 project tree right click the Data Files folder and then choose "New". An option window will allow you to add any additional supported data type files you need for the on-hand application development.
The Data Files folder size is limited only by the available CPU non-volatile memory.

If you right click on the data files on the side (B3, T4, ETC) and go down to properties, you can change the number of Elements to however many you need. Default is just 30 elements in a B file and a 1 in a T file.

Edit:

Also you can do add more data files if need be. Do this when it is logical to have the data separated.

If you right click on the data files on the side (B3, T4, ETC) and go down to properties, you can change the number of Elements to however many you need. Default is just 30 elements in a B file and a 1 in a T file.

Edit:

Also you can do add more data files if need be. Do this when it is logical to have the data separated.

Thanks. This is the answer to my question.

By default all of the default data files have only one element created (except for O0, I1 and S2). It is up to you to create the data locations you wish to use.

These locations CAN be created automatically as you program your logic. The software can automatically prompt you for the next available address or you can manually type in the address you wish to use. When you use the Verify options (like Verify Rung, Verify Routine or Verify Project), the memory locations you have specified in the logic will be created.

This works for creating additional locations within a data file as well as creating new data files.

OG

These locations CAN be created automatically as you program your logic. The software can automatically prompt you for the next available address or you can manually type in the address you wish to use. When you use the Verify options (like Verify Rung, Verify Routine or Verify Project), the memory locations you have specified in the logic will be created.

This works for creating additional locations within a data file as well as creating new data files.

OG
I didn't know that.
I thought that you had to go the the properties and put the Last: bit in the File and click apply in order to change it.
Thanks

By default all of the default data files have only one element created (except for O0, I1 and S2). It is up to you to create the data locations you wish to use.

OG

I worked with the micrologix 1000 plc and the data files in rslogix 500 (bin,int) always have more than one elements by default. This is why I was confused when I stated to work with slc 500 and seeing that there is only 1 element in the bin/int file

I worked with the micrologix 1000 plc and the data files in rslogix 500 (bin,int) always have more than one elements by default. This is why I was confused when I stated to work with slc 500 and seeing that there is only 1 element in the bin/int file

Yeah, the MicroLogix is a little different in that they do create your data files for you whereas the standard SLC 500 systems left that up to you.

The idea in part is that with the limited amount of RAM in those controllers you might not want to waste memory on 256 Counters (C5) and Controls (R6) if you aren't going to use them. Instead you can use that memory to create more Timers or Integers or something like that.

OG

It is only the bottom dwelling Micrologix 1000 that has the fixed tables. All other MicroLogix and SLC500 processors have configurable tables so you have to set the number of elements.

I suggest that you adopt the practice that after you have created your program you look at all your tables and add several more unused elements to each table. That way if in the future you need to add something while programming online you have memory allocated so that you do not have to go offline and expand the table. Naturally this only applies to processors that support online programming.