Replacing AB PLC2 with AB PLC5

But it gives me an opportunity to read the old posts from Ron Doran, who died in December 2007, not much older then than I am now.

I hope his wife and kids are doing well. He seemed like the kind of guy who enjoyed his summers.

He seemed like the kind of guy who enjoyed his summers.

I agree... I remember when the carnivals would come to town and the old carny side of him would come out and his threads about working at them, the summer is the carnival season :D

I would never go with the PLC5, go with either Compactlogic or Contrologic
convert the 5's main rack to a remote rack and change any other remote racks to ethernet remotes. The you can replace the I/O as needed when they go bad or on your schedule later. the conversion is not to bad.

But it gives me an opportunity to read the old posts from Ron Doran, who died in December 2007, not much older then than I am now.

I hope his wife and kids are doing well. He seemed like the kind of guy who enjoyed his summers.
I don't see posts from Ron, did he use another name here? I used to belong to his Industrial Maintanace forum. It actually survived him for another decade or so but has gone to 404 land now.

I would never go with the PLC5, go with either Compactlogic or Contrologic
convert the 5's main rack to a remote rack and change any other remote racks to ethernet remotes. The you can replace the I/O as needed when they go bad or on your schedule later. the conversion is not to bad.
Back in 2004 when this thread started, PLC-2 to PLC-5 was a more viable concept. Still, were it me I would have leapfrogged over direct to Logix even then, unless maybe there was a large installed based of PLC-5 already. Then had I gone with the PLC-5s, I would have been kicking myself in the rear by about 2010...

...And now I have helped to take the ground bones of that horse and make it into a sculpture of a horse...

Last edited:
@Dirt

15 years too late??? I just realized that. When I was logged in yesterday, this was the VERY FIRST POST on the screen. I never paid attention to when this thread was started.

@Dirt

15 years too late??? I just realized that. When I was logged in yesterday, this was the VERY FIRST POST on the screen. I never paid attention to when this thread was started.

It is never too late to bash AB/RS popeye-style milking arm!đź‘Ľ

A few questions t help us understand your system
are there any remote I/O on the PLC2
Is the PLC2 networked with other PLC's
while some PLC2's use remote I/O others do not it depends on the exact models and the same for the PLC5's
the PLC2's use Data highway while the PLC5's use Data highway Plus they are different bit they can be bridged if necessary.
either way there are a lot of things to consider when talking upgrade
I have done a lot of work with both PM me and maybe I can help you figure out what you need

GaryS,

Do you know this thread is from 2004 that appears to have been opened by accident?

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Bob O.