.apa file is not a valid archive file

bfranklin

FT View SE 6.10 Local

I Have a .apa file I am trying to restore in application manager but i get this error on every attempt:" .apa file is not a valid archive file".

The version of FT View Studio I am trying to restore it with is 7.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks

FT View SE 6.10 Local

I Have a .apa file I am trying to restore in application manager but i get this error on every attempt:" .apa file is not a valid archive file".

The version of FT View Studio I am trying to restore it with is 7.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I know that has happened to me but I don't remember anything else about it.
try to open a file and see if the one you were trying to restore is there.... like maybe it worked anyway even tho it complained

DonBlack said:
This was happening to me using FT View 6.10.00.9
I downloaded the latest patches from rockwell online and this fixed it for me.

DonBlack,

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

You may have hit the nail on the noggin' here?

When I read your suggestion a light bulb lit up, I knew I remembered something to that affect...

49016 - "The file is not a valid archive file" error when trying to restore an APA file
Access Level: TechConnect

There are a few possible causes, but yours is there. :site:

Regards,
George

Workaround:

Rename .apa to .zip. Yes, that's right, you can do that.

Then, extract .zip file.

Woah! Look at all the files! Cool!

Now, drag and drop into Studio and recreate application manually. Should just take a few minutes.

xC0MMAND0x said:
Workaround:

Rename .apa to .zip. Yes, that's right, you can do that.

Then, extract .zip file.

Woah! Look at all the files! Cool!

Now, drag and drop into Studio and recreate application manually. Should just take a few minutes.

xC0MMAND0x,

I'm intrigued? I love learning new tricks, but it will not work for me?

What OS and what ZIP utility do you use?

In XP Pro SP3 -

"Windows cannot open the folder. The Compressed (zipped) Folder C:\path_to_apa_i_changed_to_zip.ZIP is invalid."

In Win7 Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit -

"Cannot open file 'apa_i_changed_to_zip.ZIP'. It does not appear to be a valid archive.

If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again.
"

I've never heard of this being possible before? Can you outline what you do exactly?

Regards,
George

Here are screenshots of me doing it (coincidentally with a CarWash example).

This is Windows 7 64-Bit (but I've done on XP VMs before).

I use 7zip for all of my Archiving and Extractions (can install from https://ninite.com/ which I use for installing all applications quickly and keeping them up to date)

When it gives the rename error just say "Yes".

Screenshots should be self explanatory and in order - I can elaborate if you need!

You can restore from .MED once you have it - or manually take GFX / MCR / PAR files as needed.

*I don't think this works for Encrypted .APA files!!!!!*

Just tried it with 7zip on windows 7, worked great and I didn't even have to rename it.

+1 7Zip

On my testing:

You could fit 2.28 .7z archives in a single .zip archive. 7-zip is above a 9:1 compression ratio, and .zip is only slightly above a 4:1 compression ratio.

Excellent my friend!

Yes, I only had WinZip available on my right-click context menu, and it would not work. I now have both.

I downloaded 7-Zip from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.20/7z920.exe/download?use_mirror=sunet

It's the official place to get it I think?

I've set it as my default zip utility now...

1. Open 7-Zip File Manager
2. Tools > Options...
3. Select All
4. 7-Zip tab > Integration into shell (right-click context menu) checked as default

Worked first time on same *.APA file.

Thanks for the tip xC0MMAND0x! 🍺

G.

7-Zip.jpg

Of course.

I do strongly recommend using https://ninite.com/ for installers. You can save the installer and use it as an updater - and it does SILENT installs for everything and doesn't do any toolbars or any add-ons.

Out of box new PC or new server? I double click my Ninite installer and have all of my programs installed in minutes with no interaction at all.

Has the OP gotten this figured out yet?

unfortunately my renamed to .zip file is showing empty folder. No files to extract, even though sizie is 9500 kb